We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day Capri island + Pompeii can it be done?

2 posts
1 day Capri island + Pompeii can it be done?

My partner and I are in Naples on 9th November and have a hotel in Naples, I want to know can we do a trip in Pompeii in the morning and then Capri island afternoon and come back same day? Should we have a tour group or guide to get the best opportunity to see all we can? If so any tips?

What is there to do in Capri? Is it best to cruise around the island by boat and see blue grotto? Loaded questions but I appreciate the help! :)

10 replies to this topic
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,783 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: 1 day Capri island + Pompeii can it be done?

My answer would be "no". Pompeii takes at least a full day, and that's rushing through it. Capri takes at least a day and that is "really rushing" through it.

I suggest choosing one or the other.

Donna

London
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: 1 day Capri island + Pompeii can it be done?

No from me too. There are many things to do around Capri (Villa San Michele, Monte Solaro cable car, Gardens of Augustus, San Michele church, etc.) but most importantly many hikes with breathtaking views at every corner.

It's a place that requires time. I can understand people going there for a daytrip because they can't afford staying, but half-day trip really doesn't make sense at all.

Edited: 09 October 2018, 19:46
NY
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
105 reviews
3. Re: 1 day Capri island + Pompeii can it be done?

Just take the "no's" for the answer

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
18,318 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: 1 day Capri island + Pompeii can it be done?

It can be done, it's up to you whether or not it's worth it.

I've known plenty of people whose curiosity about Pompei was addressed within two or three hours on site, while others spend days and keep going back. Everyone's interest level is different.

If you want to do this you could start with either one first. In other words, Naples to Pompei to Capri to Naples or the other way around. The most efficient route would mean going via Sorrento. For example, ferry to Capri in the morning from Naples, then ferry from Capri to Sorrento in the afternoon followed by the Circumvesuviana train from Sorrento to Pompei, then either the train or the bus from Pompei back to Naples. Or the opposite.

London
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: 1 day Capri island + Pompeii can it be done?

It's not just a matter of interest level, but also of stamina.

I spent "only" 4 hours in Pompeii, but I was absolutely exhausted afterwards.

2 posts
6. Re: 1 day Capri island + Pompeii can it be done?

Thank you all for your advice I really appreciate it! I definitely wanted to do 1 thing each day I only have 2days there and just time management and maybe get a guide for Pompeii :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45,702 posts
7. Re: 1 day Capri island + Pompeii can it be done?

Here's what to see on Capri - obviously, a half day is a drip in a bucket and you might decide the cost and time of just getting there and back for so few hours may not be what you want to do - but, just read up on it in your guidebook, look at youtube videos/whatever - www.capri.net has pretty much all to do/see there -

Los Angeles...
4 posts
8. Re: 1 day Capri island + Pompeii can it be done?

It probably depends on the time of year and your modes of transportation, but I'd say definitely not! Even if you're done with Pompeii in a few hours, good luck getting to and around Capri within the afternoon. Just went in late September and it was a nightmare - waited 45 minutes for across-island bus, takes 45 minutes to get there between buying tickets and getting on the ferry, another 30-45 minutes to get out of grand marina and up the hill, crowds everywhere, etc. Also the line at the blue grotto looked like it was an hour and a half long.

If you really want to do it the thing to do is probably to get to Pompeii as soon as it opens, then catch a private boat from either sorrento or wherever you can that is closest to pompeii and take that in a tour around Capri. It will be expensive but possible.

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
9,132 posts
1,212 reviews
9. Re: 1 day Capri island + Pompeii can it be done?

If you do both in one day, you will not enjoy either.

Pompeii is a vast sight and it takes at least three hours just to scratch the surface (we spent more than five hours).

Day trip to Capri is very nice (there is nothing nightmarish about it), but you do need a full day to enjoy it and visit Anacapri for the most ethereal views imaginable. The Blue Grotto is fascinating, but very weather dependent.

Pick one and save another for your next trip.

Edited: 10 October 2018, 09:12
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41,029 posts
671 reviews
10. Re: 1 day Capri island + Pompeii can it be done?

No because the time from Capri to Pompeii will take nearly 1.5 to 2 hours.

Reply to: 1 day Capri island + Pompeii can it be done?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Capri
Recent Conversations