We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish market?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Fish market?

We've been here in an apartment for a week but haven't found a market that sells fish, anyone know of one?

Da Tonino
₹₹₹₹, Italian, Seafood, Mediterranean
Buonocore Gelateria
₹, Italian, Cafe, Fast food
Villa Margherita
₹₹₹₹, Italian, Seafood, Mediterranean
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,125 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fish market?

I don't know of any - but, there is no one you can ask? Even if you are in an apartment, I would think someone at a restaurant or a food shop will be able to answer your question.

This place seems to have what you are looking for - https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-…

Gloucester, MA
Level Contributor
284 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fish market?

When I was there in October this place had fish in the morning and then was a restaurant at night. The address is Viale Botteghe 19, it's right around the corner from the Piazza. The locals have to get fish every day. I don't know what time in the morning you've been out trying to buy fish. I think usually cleaned up and finished by around noon.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,125 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fish market?

That's the same place I linked to...

Gloucester, MA
Level Contributor
284 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fish market?

Honestly I didn't Look to see where the link went I walk by there place 50 times a day when I'm there so that was the only place I knew of .

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fish market?

A dirty little secret. Most of the "fresh" fish you eat on Capri is frozen and is delivered from the mainland to stores and restaurants. Look for the tiny asterisks you seen on menus. They are there by law and are supposed to alert diners that the item is surgelato, frozen. .

Edited: 11 May 2017, 09:30
Mentioned in this post
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fish market?

Thanks, found it!

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
429 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fish market?

You could find something not frozen here:

http://multicedi.mydeco.it/stores/?id=733

Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fish market?

Marcelllo and MomCat. Nice finds

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,125 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Fish market?

As to the "secret" (it's not really secret, the symbol/explanation is there to read) - I learned this years ago - The assumption by many is that all the seafood/shellfish will be fresh because you are on an island in the sea but it's not so yeah, do check for that notice to determine if what you want is frozen. If uncertain: ask.

Enjoy the rest of your time there!

Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fish market?

I normally avoid those big expensive whole fish that they bring to the table and mark up and opt for the seafood pastas ( a better deal). My wife opts for the fish though, 😂