We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Planned Trip to Capri from Rome

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Self Planned Trip to Capri from Rome

Hi Everyone,

I will be visiting Rome in May with my sister and we are planning a day trip to Capri.

The planned day trip from Rome is somewhat expensive so we were looking at alternative ways to get their via train/ferry/etc. I found few links to help plan the trip but I wanted to get feedback regarding anyone else who has done a similar trip. I saw several people suggest going to Sorrento and taking one of the tours from there that take you to Capri instead of doing everything by ourselves. We are open for options/ideas........Just not sure what to do..

What is the optimal way to get there? Is it better to self plan the whole day or got to Sorrento and take one of the tours that take you to Capri....or are there other options. For anyone who did it, about how much did it cost? Any tips or advice? Things to see or do in the day? If you could also provide the timeline that you followed throughout the day, that would be helpful.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,711 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Self Planned Trip to Capri from Rome

I would take the train to Naples, then the ferry to Capri. Easy enough to do on your own with a good guidebook and a little research

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
18,124 posts
43 reviews
2. Re: Self Planned Trip to Capri from Rome

As Engred says, the most direct way to get there is the fast train to Naples, followed by either the metro or a cab to the pier at Molo Beverello, and a fast boat to Capri. There is absolutely no need to pay for a tour if you are reasonably able to get by on your own.

To save money you can purchase your train tickets in advance directly from either Trenitalia or Italotreno, but for a day trip you'll want Trenitalia because they have the earliest trains of the day. Note, however, that these deeply discounted tickets are non-refundable and unchangeable, for the most part, so if wake up and it's pouring rain that day you're out of luck.

If you take the first fast train of the day you'll arrive to Naples Centrale at 8:45 AM. You can take the metro (to the Municipio stop), a bus, or a taxi (fixed fare of €11) to Molo Beverello and get there in time for the 9:30 crossing to Capri (no need to purchase this ticket in advance, just walk up to the ticket window) arriving just before 10:30 AM.

If you want the longest possible day on Capri, you can take the 6:10 PM fast ferry back to Naples, then return to Napoli Centrale and take the 8:36 PM train back to Rome. There are, of course, earlier options if you want a shorter day/want to get back to Rome for dinner.

Level Contributor
78 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Self Planned Trip to Capri from Rome

Do what they say. Rome to Naples. Ferry to Capri on your own. There's a fast train to an from Rome. Save the time

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
78 posts
4. Re: Self Planned Trip to Capri from Rome

I'm planning to do it with my two friends the first week of May.

It appears we can save some time and money by just taking the train from Termini and head to Naples.

We then change trains and go downstairs and get on a second train for two stops.

We then walk to the boats.

Seems pretty easy...

Fingers crossed....

Bret

Edited: 13 April 2017, 23:03
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: Self Planned Trip to Capri from Rome

Capri is not large or complex, so once there, you can walk from the ferry to the funiculare to go up to Capri town, or take an open taxi, or take one of the buses from Marina Grande. Buses also will take you from Capri town to Anacapri, a short journey. It's all pretty easy. It could be hot, so consider taking hat and sunscreen. It's beautiful!

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Self Planned Trip to Capri from Rome

Thank you everyone.

Bret - What do you mean mean you said "We then change trains and go downstairs and get on a second train for two stops."?

I'm still trying to figure out how to get from Naples to Molo Beverello....

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
18,124 posts
43 reviews
7. Re: Self Planned Trip to Capri from Rome

As I said in post #2:

If you take the first fast train of the day you'll arrive to Naples Centrale at 8:45 AM. You can take the metro (to the Municipio stop), a bus, or a taxi (fixed fare of €11) to Molo Beverello.

The metro, line 1, for two stops puts you at Municipio, which is across the street from Molo Beverello.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
18,124 posts
43 reviews
8. Re: Self Planned Trip to Capri from Rome

Perhaps this map will help.

Napoli Centrale train station is located in quadrant B8.

Molo Beverello is located in D6.

The Municipio metro stop is in D5.

Map here: unicocampania.it/files/mappe/Napoli2016.pdf

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
29 posts
36 reviews
9. Re: Self Planned Trip to Capri from Rome

Bret - How did this trip turn out for you? We are planning to do this exact trip from Rome to Capri ourselves on Wed. May 10. Did you taxi it from Naples down to the ferry?

Also, did you do any private boat tour while at Capri? I was thikning of just booking a boat tour down at the docks the day of.

Mumbai, India
3 posts
10. Re: Self Planned Trip to Capri from Rome

Hi,

We are planning the same with a kid (4 yr old) this 21st June.But yes we got a train a little late which will reach at 9.55 am naples. If we hurry can we reach Molo Beverello for 10:30 am ferry to Capri island.

Can we still make it to the ferry for the trip to Capri.What are the charges for the ferry.

What time is the last ferry to Capri?