We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too much to do, too little time!

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Too much to do, too little time!

Hi, I'm trying to work out what I can do with my days in Sorrento this May. Problem is, I think I need way more time than I have - so will have to be quite selective. My budget won't stretch to private tours, so it's group tours or public transport. I'm staying right near Piazza Tasso (Palazzo Guardati.)

After 4 days in Rome, I'm due to arrive into Sorrento at about 10:30am on Sun 17th May, and then fly back out of Naples on the Thursday lunchtime (so planning on getting Curreri bus at 08:30 to airport.) That leaves me nearly 4 days to do everything in the area.

Must-sees: Pompeii, Herculaneum, Amalfi Coast villages

Want to but will have to choose: Go on a boat, Capri, Ischia, time around Sorrento itself.

In an ideal world: Pozzuoli Area (Solfatara, Cumae, Amphitheatre - necessary if seen Colosseum?), Paestum

My thoughts:

Sun - Around Sorrento

Mon - Herculaneum AM, Pompeii PM (by train)

Tues - Amalfi Drive tour with Golden Tours

Wed - anybody's guess!

Any suggestions/comments welcomed. Cheers :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,511 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too much to do, too little time!

Wed - take ferry/hydrofoil to Capri - you said you wanted to do that but it is not on your list. Check www.capri.net for what to see/do on Capri.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
636 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too much to do, too little time!

Could you not do 'Herculaneum AM, Pompeii PM (by train)' on the Sunday on the way from Rome? I would do one or the other.......Herculaneum is getting the better reviews.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too much to do, too little time!

Paestum? Goldentours have one trip a week, on Tuesdays (so the 22nd), which visits Salerno on the way..

www.goldentours.it/en/salerno_e_paestum.php

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/paestum

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/salerno33

Probably means shuffling the AC outing to another day?

Pozzuoli's amphitheatre... we've not done Colosseum underground - but I see that this lady has already written most of what I'd have said about the one at Pozzuoli....

visitingtheancients.com/blog/…

You can enlarge the photo of the down by clicking on it - not ideal for a wheelchair, but a relatively gentle and steady metal stairway - and then it's all flat.... as you'll perhaps see from the photos of mine scattered through these 3 collections:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/slides_pozzuoli

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/pozzaug07

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/pozzuoli

I guess Rome's counts as "unmissable", but the lack of crowds and ease of wandering around perhaps makes Pozzuoli's the better for an underground visit?

Cuma really is quite a physical site - several levels, with the temples over on Mount Cuma having been built on what surely counted as an acropolis !!

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/cumae

If it's any consolation, you'll have more than enough places left to make another visit worthwhile...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/tele

... and then wouldn't have to rush Ischia into a day...

But if interested, try the island magazine:

ischianews.com/it/…

Peter

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Too much to do, too little time!

Thanks, Momcat. Capri's definitely up there - the question is, should I pick that or Ischia as my island trip? I've heard good things about both.

Mobeverton - Thanks, but we're getting a bus - so it's not quite 'on the way', sadly. I thought about doing that on the Sunday anyway, but I'm not sure if it would be too tough to fit it all in, starting so late. It would be nearly 11:30 by the time we'd dumped bags and got back to the station.

I also considered doing one or the other - I'm not sure if I'd regret not going to Pompeii if I just did Herculaneum. Argh - this is so tough!

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Too much to do, too little time!

Thanks, Peter. I just want to clarify that I use the wheelchair for distances, so I can walk a reasonable way without it (plus steps, certain amount of climbing up things etc are fine as I'll have help.)

That said, I can't do everything, and there's too much world to see to return to places (at least any time soon). So, being harsh about it, Pozzuoli seems more complicated to get to than the others, and I've seen my fair share of ancient Greek stuff in Greece, so I think I've narrowed it down to Ischia (which looks beautiful) or Capri (which I know more about, but is where everyone seems to go!) Decisions, decisions...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,511 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Too much to do, too little time!

Both are beautiful but very different from each other. In an ideal world; some time in both would be the best thing.

It is actually pretty easy to get away from the madding crowds in Capri - once away from crazy Marina Grande, where the ferries/hydrofoils/other boats arrive and get quickly past the packed like sardines nuttiness of the piazzetta above from the cable car (from Marina Grande), there are many delightful, quiet areas to explore, a lot of which does require inclines, steps, etc but there are flat areas as well - in both Capri and Anacapri.

Last time, there was such a stupidly long line for the cable car that I wound up sharing a taxi up to the top near the piazzetta with a few others for a total of 15 euros; it was well worth the 5 euros. Not sure what that price is now - I think that was about 2.5 years ago (end of Sept) so I'm sure it is a bit more now.

I haven't yet had much time on Ischia - only a stay quite a few years ago in Sant Angelo which I would not revisit, as pretty as it was, because I was far from some areas of the island I do want to spend time enjoying.

Upshot is I don't think there is anyway to be disappointed with either choice.

New York
Level Contributor
2,257 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Too much to do, too little time!

Jesobelle

"there's too much world to see to return to places (at least any time soon). "

Be warned...Italy gets a magical hold on people and they start going over and over again!!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Too much to do, too little time!

Sorry if I seem to be overstating the difficulties, but I had to give up halfway to Cuma's summit the first time myself!

If you hadn't realised before, that area is indeed quite a schlep from Sorrento - and also fairly difficult to negotiate in a rush with public transport - however there's more than enough to merit a stop-over.

Rather than reinventing the wheel, perhaps I can simply direct you to some previous suggestions for what one might do on a daytrip here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g580214-i10609-k…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187784-i779-k52…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187784-i779-k47…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187784-i779-k48…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g580214-i10609-k…

No doubt some repetition!

Otherwise, for Capri, these are a few years old now - but may still be of interest?

www.italiantouristoffice.se/sv/docs/293.pdf

www.italiantouristoffice.se/sv/docs/295.pdf

www.italiantouristoffice.se/sv/docs/296.pdf

Peter

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Too much to do, too little time!

Think you seem pretty well organised.

Can I suggest that during your afternoon / evening in Sorrento on Sunfay you wander down to the small working fishing harbour Marina Grande for local flavour (bus back uphill!) and also explore the historic lanes.

Golden Tours are highly recommended for the AC tour.

Capri or Ischia? Never been to Ischia but it is renowned for beaches and spas.

Capri will be very busy no matter when you go but you can go up to AnaCapri by local bus once you reach Capri town which is quieter. The suggestion of sharing a taxi for the short ride is a good one if you don't want to queue for the funicular. (Standing room only) Loads of small boats in the harbour on arrival touting for trips into the Blue Grotto (weather permitting) if you want to do this. Might not be easy getting in and out with limited mobility though. Capri is beautiful - and expensive!

Enjoy!

NBB.

Edited: 25 April 2012, 12:52
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Too much to do, too little time!

We've just had a similar length of time in Sorrento, arriving on Monday afternoon and leaving on the 8.30 airport shuttle on Friday.

Monday we mooched around Sorrento

Tuesday, ferry to Capri, we missed the 9.50 one because we got lost but we had someone's directions off here and knew which direction to head for the bus, how many tickets to get etc and went to Anacapri the headed back to Capri in the afternoon with a couple of restbreaks for coffee and beer.

Wednesday we did herculaneum and pompeii

Thursday we got the bus to Ravello, stopping for lunch in Amalfi on the way.

We were shattered by the time Friday came but felt we'd seen enough of the places we'd visited and didn't feel rushed and when we did feel weary we sat down and had a beer or coffee and watched the world go by.

Enjoy your trip