We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help in Planning trip to Italy

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
391 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Help in Planning trip to Italy

This will be our first time here is where we want to go in May

Rome 3 nights w/1 day trip to Florence by train

Would like to go to Amalfi Coast for 5 nights not sure of where to go to get around since we will not be driving, thinking of Salerno since it seems to be accessible we want to go to Ravello and Sorrento possible Positano

Then on to Sicily to Messina or Calabria we want to visit Taormina, and another small town called Spadafora, husband thinks we can take a train from Salerno to Calabria and then a ferry then head on home via Rome again. Need some suggestions Thanks

west barnstable...
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help in Planning trip to Italy

I agree that 3 days in Rome is barely adequate, and I really don't see the point of a day trip to Florence (where, again, three days would be barely adequate).

On the Amalfi coast, I think you'd be better off somewhere midway between Sorrento and Salerno--Ravello, Amalfi or Praiano might be good choices.

Can't comment on Sicily; haven't been there yet.

Denver
Level Contributor
36 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help in Planning trip to Italy

We're headed to Italy in May and I've been reading the forum posts to help us plan our trip. We're starting our trip in Venice, but then headed south to Positano for 5 nights near the Amalfi coast.

This will be our first time to Positano. We considered staying in Salerno or Sorrento, but our friends highly recommended staying in Positano instead. They stayed there a few years back and loved it. So, we're going to take their advice and stay in Positano.

We're taking the high-speed train from Venice down to Naples, then taking a private car from Naples straight to Positano to our hotel. We'll be staying at the Punta Regina hotel and we're really looking fw to the trip. I'll come back to the forums after our trip and let you know how it tuned out. - Scot

13. Re: Help in Planning trip to Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2013, 14:48