We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help in Planning trip to Italy

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
391 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Help in Planning trip to Italy

This will be our first time here is where we want to go in May

Rome 3 nights w/1 day trip to Florence by train

Would like to go to Amalfi Coast for 5 nights not sure of where to go to get around since we will not be driving, thinking of Salerno since it seems to be accessible we want to go to Ravello and Sorrento possible Positano

Then on to Sicily to Messina or Calabria we want to visit Taormina, and another small town called Spadafora, husband thinks we can take a train from Salerno to Calabria and then a ferry then head on home via Rome again. Need some suggestions Thanks

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
538 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help in Planning trip to Italy

The first part sounds fine, although that's a bare minimum amount of time to see Rome.

I would not stay in Salerno - it's a transit connection point when you head south from the Amalfi Coast, but not the most convenient or charming place to stay (more of a big city...although to be fair we only saw a bit of it when catching a train there.)

Easiest for making public transportation connections would be to stay in Sorrento, which is a lovely town itself, and makes it easy to see the Amalfi Coast (Positano, Amalfi, Ravello - all worthwhile - via SITA bus), Capri, and Pompeii/Herculaneum. To get to Sorrento from Rome, take the national railway to Naples and walk next door to the Circumvesuviana regional train, which will take you to Sorrento (runs frequently, no advance booking required, will take a little over an hour.)

Can't comment on the Sicily portion, I'm not familiar with that. Enjoy your trip!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help in Planning trip to Italy

From Salerno, the train station is very close to the ferry dock (five minutes walk) and you can catch a ferry from there to Amalfi or Positano for your car free stay on the AC - then in reverse to catch the train again in Salerno to go south to Siciiy.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
391 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help in Planning trip to Italy

Thanks for your replies

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help in Planning trip to Italy

I agree with the suggestion for Sorrento.

Everything you need and access to the other towns.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,119 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help in Planning trip to Italy

May is a really beautiful time to visit Southern Italy and Sicily!

On arrival in Rome, continue onward directly to Catania (Sicily) – See Rome at the end of your route to better position for your departing flight home.

Interbus runs direct public transport from Catania’s airport to Taormina.

Spadafora is presumably your ancestral town – Spadafora is a small town in Messina province served by the local bus line Campagna e Ciccolo S.R.L. From a base in Taormina, you would take Interbus or the train from Taormina to Messina, and then take the Campagna e Ciccolo bus service from Messina to Spadafora.

http://www.campagnaviaggi.it/

www.campagnaviaggi.it/SQL/prog_bus2.php

Fly Air Italy from Catania to Naples.

http://www.airitaly.it/en/index.aspx

You might also take the Caronte ferry from Salermo to Messina.

www.carontetourist.it/v2.6_us/autostrade.mvd

Sorrento is a lovely town, but although Sorrento is located on the Sorrentine Peninsula, Sorrento isn’t the Amalfi Coast. If you’d like diversity of experiences, you might consider dividing your time between Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast.

Sorrento is a convenient base for exploring Campania since Sorrento offer the best public transport connections in the area – The Circumvesuviana regional train to Naples, Pompeii, Herculaneum and Vesuvius; SITA buses along the Amalfi Coast; and ferries to Capri and along the Amalfi Coast.

Amalfi (town) offers the best public transport links on the Amalfi Coast, but you might also consider Positano.

Which town to stay in:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187779-i161-k2849…

Since you’ve indicated that you would like to stay in Taormina, you might better enjoy Positano – Positano and Taormina are often compared.

Taormina - beautiful like Capri and Positano?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k21…

Sorrento or Taormina:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k4308…

If you were to base in Sorrento, then take the Circumvesuviana train from Sorrento to Naples, and then take Trenitalia onward to Rome.

If you were to decide solely on an Amalfi Coast base, then take the bus or ferry to Salerno, and then take Trenitalia onward from Salerno to Rome.

Vagabonda

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help in Planning trip to Italy

For bus travel along the Amalfi Coast, see this re the SITA line's timetables etc.... and do read through as far as my post of today!

tripadvisor.co.uk/…39816970

Peter

salerno
Level Contributor
241 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help in Planning trip to Italy

hi butsey,

sorry for my poor english, but i will try to help you.

I'm from Salerno and living here every summer i "live" in Amalfitan Coast".

From Florence the best way to get Amalfi Coast is Salerno, by train,

From Salerno you can take a ferry from PIAZZA DELLA CONCORDIA, in front of the train station, for Maiori, Amalfi, Positano , but I don't know when the ferry service will be active (may or july) , or you can reach Amalfi by bus (SITA company buses) : sitabus.it/sitabus/…QUADROXV.pdf

Remember that all buses starts from Amalfi, if you want go to Positano, or Ravello , Sorrento or Minori (eat a cake at De Riso cake shop),but the best thing is to rent a scooter, so you can go everywhere.

From Salerno you can take the train to Reggio Calabria and the Sicily, for other information go to internet site Trenitalia, for information about Taormina and Spadafora you can write on Italian Tripadvisor, I'm sure that a lot of people will help you as me.

If you want other help no problem

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,119 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help in Planning trip to Italy

Really avoid taking the train to Sicily!

Train Rome to Palermo:

tripadvisor.com/…34649163

Vagabonda

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help in Planning trip to Italy

We've only taken the daytime train - and personally I'd not bother with the night one!

But it seemed a better choice for our trip from Naples to Siracusa than flying, and wasn't unpleasant at all... just a bit long - but then it is a fairly long way.....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/131459149

Whilst it's making the journey you can follow the progress of the one of those you might take - the IC that leaves Salerno at 14:30 and arrives Taormina-Giardini Naxos at 20:32 - by looking here...

http://www.e656.net/orario/treno/727.html

Today's appears to be running well - and was only 3 minutes behind schedule on arrival at Villa Giovanni, which is where they drive it onto the special train ferry for the short sea crossing:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/131510531

There's another earlier in the day, also 6 hours (leaves Salerno 10:33, arrives Taormini 16:44) and - for example - on May 24th, under the Mini fare scheme tickets for both of them can be bought today at just €19 for 2nd Class, or €39 in First... which seems pretty good to me?

Peter

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,119 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help in Planning trip to Italy

It’s not just a matter of tardiness – Lack of food service, dirty facilities, potential lack of air-conditioning....

The flight arrives in less than an hour!

If you’d like to avoid a night’s hotel, then consider the ferry options.

Vagabonda