We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

salerno to some amalfi towns

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
salerno to some amalfi towns

hello! is it possible to do the following with salerno as my base?

i only have 1 day for the amalfi coast. i don't want to lounge in the beach, just want to walk around and explore.

take the hydrofoil to amalfi -> bus to ravello -> bus to atrani -> bus to vietri sul mare then train back to salerno by dusk.

if i should take out 1 town ( if the 4 towns are really not doable) what should i cross out?

UK
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: salerno to some amalfi towns

What time of the year are you planning to be there as the ferry from Salerno to Amalfi is seasonal?

There is no train line from Vietri sul Mare to Salerno.

We've only achieved what you're suggesting with a hire car.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: salerno to some amalfi towns

Please - and particularly when contradicting someone - do check your facts!

Lest there be any doubt, here's what you'll see at the station in Vietri sul Mare - 2 platforms, one marked for Naples and the other for Salerno...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/128827621

And this is an example of the schedule on that line - taken from the Trenitalia website, where it would take only a moment to look...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132271158

Note there are two stops in Salerno.... one at the main line station and - before that - another that's nearer the Duomo..... and also that - even now in February - they run until about ten forty at night!

Alternatively, buses from Vietri - both SITA and CSTP - that stop variously along the coast road... with either of which the Artecard should be fine!

We thought it a nice little place, with an independence from tourism that we liked a lot...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/vietri

Give or take big changes in the various schedules, I'd expect that the trip would be possible any time after the start of April... particularly once the Alicost line gets their early morning hydrofoil going, which last year - with a very late Easter - they'd done by the 15th or 16th (but on the 2nd in 2010, when the holiday spanned the 2nd-5th)...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/140463172

Do be sure you know where those set off from - Molo Manfredo, in Salerno's main harbour and not the seafront quay that's used by the boats of the Co-op Sant'Andrea, a possible alternative?

coopsantandrea.com/it/…

Check bus details for yourself - current ones at least should be available from...

www.sitabus.it/wps/portal/OrariCampaniaIndice

... a few more 'runs' may be added as the season moves on, perhaps in time for Easter - which is only 7 weeks away now!

Haven't been to Atrani but, unjust or not, that's probably the one I would skip if necessary...

Perhaps take a look through this before you decide?

costiera.it/images/pdf/TravelDirectory_En.pdf

OK so far?

Peter

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: salerno to some amalfi towns

I have been to Atrani and while lovely, I too would skip it with this desired schedule. You do spend more time than you think you will in the traveling times from place to place. You may end up, for example, waiting 30 minutes (more or less) for the bus up to Ravello from Amalfi; and then there is the wait to come back down to Amalfi, etc. The bus up to Ravello takes 20 minutes - so, 40 minutes round trip up to and back down to Amalfi.

As you don't say when you are going, hard to say with certainty that there will be hydrofoils from Salerno to Amalfi -

When are you going? If when there is no ferry/hydrofoil access, the SITA bus will get you to Amalfi - I believe it takes 70 minutes from Salerno (depending, of course, on traffic)

UK
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: salerno to some amalfi towns

papemelroti ....

My profuse apologies for giving you the wrong facts.

I bow to the more accurate information you have been given.

Enjoy your stay.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: salerno to some amalfi towns

Sorry if that sounded short, but you were unequivocal about it!

Peter

Texas
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: salerno to some amalfi towns

I would vary your day by walking down from Ravello to Amalfi via Atrani - an absolutely gorgeous and not too long at all walk.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: salerno to some amalfi towns

@joannaspencer- no worries.=)

thank you to all of your replies. i will be in salerno from may 31-june 2. two full days but the other day is for traveling to salerno via pompeii + paestum. this leaves me with june 1 as the amalfi day starting at 8am. since this is already summer i am presuming that more hydrofoils/ aqua buses will be available as alternative transportation.

i did check out this website:

10things.it/guide/the-amalfi-coast/top-10/

and it just confirmed my initial choice of doing amalfi and ravello (positano is too far from salerno)

so its really a toss up between atrani and vietri sul mare. i kind of want to do both =p but the travel time does worry me.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: salerno to some amalfi towns

i would like to update my itinerary after the alicost website (thanks peter!) updated the schedule for april 2012. I am confident that i can do amalfi, ravello and vietri sul mare. definitely no more atrani

going to amalfi: boat

going back to salerno: bus

on the event that my sister manages to convince me..

my other itinerary option is salerno- positano-amalfi- ravello- salerno. I presume its also doable?

going to positano by boat

positano to amalfi by bus

amalfi to salerno by boat again.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: salerno to some amalfi towns

Keep watching their website!

There's also another line that should be operating several routes by then....

http://www.coopsantandrea.com/index_en.asp

They're not so good at circulating details, so I'd advice checking locally quite what they'll have operating at the time - however the departure quay they use is more convenient for the centre of Salerno than the "Molo Manfredi" (in the city's main harbour) from where Alicost's vessels set off!

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132810174

OK?

Peter

10. Re: salerno to some amalfi towns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 April 2012, 21:20
Edited: 01 April 2012, 21:20