We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions needed re: best time to visit Positano?

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
233 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions needed re: best time to visit Positano?

We visited Positano recently on a one day excursion out of Naples. I fell in love with it. So we would like to come back on a longer trip. In your opinion, what is the best time to visit Positano/Amalfi coast for a group of adult friends (we are all in our 50's & 60's)? We want to use it as a base for day trips along the coast. If you have a suggestion of an even better city as a base, please suggest that as well. Thanks in advance for your help.

5 replies to this topic
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,339 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions needed re: best time to visit Positano?

My favourite time of year to visit Positano is early October. Most of the crowds have left, school is back in most of Europe and North America and it's still warm enough to swim and sunbathe. Prices do not come down so try and book as soon as hotels release their rooms for late 2019 which could be from any time now.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,040 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions needed re: best time to visit Positano?

Early October might edge out early May/late April (usually depending on when Easter falls).

San Francisco
Level Contributor
92 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions needed re: best time to visit Positano?

If you would like to enjoy a concert at the outdoor amphitheater in Ravello you will need to go in July or August, when it is somewhat hot in Positano and more crowded (especially August from what I hear). They also have smaller concerts in a small chapel in June which also are quite charming. If that is something you are interested in, you may want to consider staying in Amalfi or Ravello. We just spent a week in Positano in June, and it was lovely. Crowded, but again not as bad as July and August from what I heard. It was getting warm in the afternoons and we had a couple of days when it rained for maybe an hour or so, but overall not too bad.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions needed re: best time to visit Positano?

How about Sept in Positano or Amalfi. We were just there in August and the crowds and heat were unreal. I am hoping Sept would be less crowded but still sunny and good for swimming.

Israel
Level Contributor
185 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions needed re: best time to visit Positano?

Positano is gorgeous but you could also consider Praiano which is only a 10 minute bus trip from Positano and far more laid back and less crowded. If you google "Time4Travel4Less", you will be able to access my travel blog that provides many itineraries on the Amalfi Coast . I have also blogged accomodation that we really loved in Praiano which gave us incredible sea views. I hope it helps. Enjoy!!

Reply to: Opinions needed re: best time to visit Positano?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Amalfi
Recent Conversations