We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maiori - How to minimize private beach cost

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Maiori - How to minimize private beach cost

What would be a best way to minimize cost for getting sunbeds and umbrellas on private beaches for a family of four in Maiori.

We plan to go to Amalfi next summer, preferably book an apartment in Maiori for 10 days, since it is described as one of a few sandy beaches.

We are family of four (two teenagers), and we might spend two days visiting around, but would like to spend most of the days on the beach (not pool).

I read that one spot at private beach could cost around 20 euros per day, and for a family of four and multiple days could be a fortune.

Is it better to pick more expensive hotel if there is any with private beach discount, or private less expensive AirBNB apartment where host owns and sells private beach spots, maybe week pass?

Any advice would help.

Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,717 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Maiori - How to minimize private beach cost

I have never been to Maiori (only Positano and Cetara) but I have never heard of a hotel or apartment that has a discount for beach spots, since the beach spots are rented by a separate company (in Positano it is the restaurant next to the beach). I know that prices are different on different beaches (i.e. Fornillo Beach is less expensive than Spiaggia Grande in Positano), so you might do some research on the different beaches in/near Maiori.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
18,268 posts
43 reviews
2. Re: Maiori - How to minimize private beach cost

You've picked an area (the Amalfi Coast) with extremely limited beaches and a lot of people who want to use them, so demand will drive up and keep the prices for using them high. There are many lovely beaches further south in Campania as well as in Basilicata, Puglia and Calabria.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,392 posts
167 reviews
3. Re: Maiori - How to minimize private beach cost

Look for a section of the beach that is free. You won't get a sunbed or umbrella but you can still enjoy the water - just lie on your towels.

Amalfi Coast, Italy
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Maiori - How to minimize private beach cost

Buongiorno!

Unfortunately here on the coast if you're after sun beds and umbrellas, they all cost in the peak of Summer. There are free beaches scattered along the coast that you will just need your own towels. Maiori I think you will find is different. It's different in price range and is not as expensive as Positano or Amalfi. Not all all in fact!

If you want that experience go for it in Maiori! Or another alternative is to have the boat as your beach, hiring a boat in Maiori or Minori (again not as expensive but still at a reasonable price) and sail the coast all by yourselves without someone sitting on top of you at the free beaches!!! Sometimes when you total up the umbrellas the sun beds you will find that it does all add up and come close to hiring a boat!!

Just another option.

:) Good luck :)

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
5. Re: Maiori - How to minimize private beach cost

Thank you all for the tips.

Would you know based on Italian beach rules, would they allow on the private beach four to share two sunbeds and umbrellas, or it is strictly one on one?

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,717 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Maiori - How to minimize private beach cost

I have seen sunbeds shared by 2 people in Positano.

Positano
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Maiori - How to minimize private beach cost

It has become pretty strict at some beach bars. Pupetto on Fornillo beach used to let locals share a bed but the new owners now insist that you must pay for a bed each to have access to their part of the beach.

It may work with other bars, just don't show up in four and ask for two beds 😉

Reply to: Maiori - How to minimize private beach cost
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Amalfi