We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Direct trains Milan airport (MXP) to Venice/Florence/Rome

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
11,664 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Direct trains Milan airport (MXP) to Venice/Florence/Rome

According to well-grounded rumors presently being discussed on an Italian rail enthusiasts' forum, Trenitalia might be launching direct services from Venice/Padova and Rome/Florence to Malpensa with the new summer timetable (June 2010). Frequency and timings still unknown. Stay tuned...

Edited: 02 April 2010, 15:06
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
80,531 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Direct trains Milan airport (MXP) to Venice/Florence/Rome

That is interesting, considering that Trenitalia does not own the tracks going to Malpensa. Why would they run trains direct from Malpensa to other cities when they do not run any such trains from FCO? And where would Trenitalia get the train sets to run extra services?

The new timetable could be interesting.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,664 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Direct trains Milan airport (MXP) to Venice/Florence/Rome

True, the MXP rail line belongs to Le Nord. However, there has a been a precedent during the 2006 winter olympics, when Trenitalia ran direct trains from MXP to Turin. Not to mention regional trains being gradually introduced from Milan's Rogoredo station, which -- like all regional trains in Lombardy -- are now run by a joint LeNord/Trenitalia operation.

We'll see...

Edited: 02 April 2010, 15:23
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Direct trains Milan airport (MXP) to Venice/Florence/Rome

But trains from Venice/Padova or Rome/Florence to Milan are ES AV trains, not Regionale trains. I don't see a Frecciarossa on a Le Nord train track, but then I'm not a railway expert.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,664 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Direct trains Milan airport (MXP) to Venice/Florence/Rome

The 2006 Olympic trains I mentioned earlier were ETR500 trains, i.e. Freccia Rossa before they changed names (and colors).

Edited: 02 April 2010, 15:39
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Direct trains Milan airport (MXP) to Venice/Florence/Rome

OK, but I still don't see the Torino Olympics as a precedent. It's one thing if millions of people converge on a place for a ten-day event and a totally different thing if a few hundred (maybe) people a day want to travel from Rome or Venice to MXP. The whole idea seems a bit absurd to me: Why would anyone want to fly out of MXP when they can fly out of FCO or VCE?

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,664 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Direct trains Milan airport (MXP) to Venice/Florence/Rome

You're right, Zerlina, but if you take a look at the TA forums, there are many people out there who apparently fly through MXP even if they plan to visit venice or Rome. Perhaps some Trenitalia egghead lurks on TripAdvisor.....

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,688 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Direct trains Milan airport (MXP) to Venice/Florence/Rome

>That is interesting, considering that Trenitalia does not own the tracks going to Malpensa.

Who is actually the owner of Ferrovie Nord? I guess the Lombardy provinical government or some such?

Anyway, Trenitalia can always rent a number of runs per day from F. Nord.

>And where would Trenitalia get the train sets to run extra services?

Fiat Ferroviaria? Bombardier? Siemens?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,248 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Direct trains Milan airport (MXP) to Venice/Florence/Rome

There is a greater number of flights from Malpensa than from Venice and to a greater number of destinations, particularly those useful for business travellers rather than tourists. And while Venice airport is more convenient for Venice, the trains will serve Verona, Brescia etc. where the choice of airports may not be so obvious. The same arguments apply to the Rome trains, especially if they serve Piacenza and Parma rather than running direct from Bologna.

9. Re: Direct trains Milan airport (MXP) to Venice/Florence/Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2010, 10:50