We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Safe Trip Abroad Article - From the US State Department

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
54,273 posts
3,460 reviews
Save Topic
A Safe Trip Abroad Article - From the US State Department

…state.gov/travel/…safety_1747.html

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,589 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Safe Trip Abroad Article - From the US State Department

Reading that I wonder why some people travel.

It makes out that the world is dangerous and one should never leave home.

Most of what is written does not apply to Spain or other EU countries.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,714 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Safe Trip Abroad Article - From the US State Department

>It makes out that the world is dangerous and one should never leave home.<

No it doesn't. It gives information about things that could happen (and have happened) and clearly suggests realistic precautions to avoid them happening. It all seems sensible to me - and I am an intrepid solo female traveller, almost completely lacking in apprehensions.

>Most of what is written does not apply to Spain or other EU countries.<

Are you quite sure of that?

Edited: 26 April 2012, 19:21
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,037 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Safe Trip Abroad Article - From the US State Department

Seems to make a lot of sense to me.

Better carefull than sorry.

Graham

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,229 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Safe Trip Abroad Article - From the US State Department

To be honest, I must admit I started reading quite prejudiced, expecting some scaremongering stuff. But it looks very sensible advice to me too. I believe most of what is written *does* actually apply to Spain or other EU countries, except maybe the parts about violent crime that's rare around here (but not inexistent, and always its better to be safe than sorry).

The advice about carrying the minimum number of valuables, putting them each in a different place, etc, may look as basically "common sense" to experienced travellers, but for new travellers this may not be so obvious, so its good to have a comprehensive summary of do/don'ts. We have examples of people falling for the oldest scams on this same forum too often.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,755 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Safe Trip Abroad Article - From the US State Department

Thanks Benny. I'll be sure to give a link to this article on TA Barcelona.

Just last week, a young woman asked me if she should wear the watch her father had given her. I told her to leave all irreplaceable and valuable jewelry at home.

The world CAN be dangerous. Even our hometown can be dangerous.

What is written applies to travel anywhere.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,037 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Safe Trip Abroad Article - From the US State Department

Re the question of wearing the fathers gift watch, When I travel abroad I wear a £ 5 .85 watch , a Casio from Amazon.

If I lose it or get it pinched I will not lose any sleep.

Graham

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Safe Trip Abroad Article - From the US State Department

"Your Social Security card, library card, and similar items you may routinely carry in your wallet. "

What women do not carry these things in their purses?

"Try to seem purposeful when you move about. Even if you are lost, act as if you know where you are going. "

You are lost but you act like know where you are going? Well maybe you go lost in the first place because you thought you knew where you are going so stop pretending you know as you are just creating a worst problem for youself.

"Be especially cautious in (or avoid) areas where you may be more easily victimized. These include crowded subways, train stations, elevators, tourist sites, market places, festivals and crime-ridden neighborhoods. "

I think any tourist in crime-ridden area is looking for trouble and will happy when they find it.

What I read throughout this article is being paranoid when you travel is a good thing.

8. Re: A Safe Trip Abroad Article - From the US State Department

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2012, 22:24
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,229 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Safe Trip Abroad Article - From the US State Department

I do not consider myself paranoid at all , but when reading the article I realised I do follow most of that advice.

Its not about being paranoid, is being aware of the risks. Its about knowing where you must be extra vigilant. Its about knowing how to better act in some occasions/places. Where to carry your stuff so you do not worry about it, and what no to carry becasue it makes you a target or just becasue you will not need it and it will be a problem if you loose it. I have lost *a lot* more stuff when traveling by accident or forgetness than by pickpockets! But as it was not "irreplaceable stuff" (in both cases) it was never a big deal.

Anyone may end once in a bad neighbourhood by mistake (this will be difficult in Spain, but do not forget the article is about travel in general) so assuming people go there on purpose it prepotent at least. Anyone can get lost, and most of us get lost at some time when traveling (and this many times may end being the best part of a trip). But getting lost does not should mean looking "obviously lost". You can always walk on (apparent) purpose until you find a familiar landmark or a shop where to ask for directions, instead of staying in the corner hopelessly looking around (a sight I'd seen too many times in Barcelona's old town, where *I* get lost quite often...)

10. Re: A Safe Trip Abroad Article - From the US State Department

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2012, 22:24