We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to do rock from cruise ship

England
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to do rock from cruise ship

We have a full day coming up in Gibraltar and obviously want to visit the rock and see the apes. From research I've done it seems that the walk from the port to the cable car can take anything from 20 to 45 mins (depending who's answering ). However, I understand that lines for the cable car can be very long and I really don't want to be standing around when we could be walking.

Therefore, having reached the rock, is it feasible to then walk up to the point where the apes are? I am assuming it's much too far and steep to walk to the top. We're quite happy to take public transport if that's possible.

Failing that, if we take a taxi from the port, would it be feasible to go to the top of the rock by taxi and then walk down? If so, what sort of price could we expect to pay.

Thanks

dewsbury uk
Level Contributor
587 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to do rock from cruise ship

If seeing the apes is paramount, you might be better off getting one of the trips direct from the cruise ships at a fixed price. Most of the taxis do Rock Trips but again these arnt cheap and make sure you neotiate a fixed price from the driver as well as ask precisely what is included in the itinery.

Walking as you suggest I wouldnt say was an option really. If on the other hand you were to pass on the apes ( vastly overrated for the money IMO) you could get a bus timetable from the tourist office at the cruise terminal and hop on and off the air conditioned buses all day, as they are now free, apart from 1 route which charges a nominal £1. That way you could see Europa Point via Trafalgar Cemetery, and Catalan Bay on the other side of the rock, where I have often seen troupes of apes anyway!!

The bus station is adjacent to Casemates Square with Main St running off it, here you have BHS Marks and Spencers etc worth a look and something to eat whilst whiling away a pleasant day.

Whatever you do, I hope you have a great time

Gibraltar, Europe
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to do rock from cruise ship

The taxi tour is a fixed price. No haggling and I doubt that they would take you up and drop you off to walk down. It is about £20 ish per person which includes the entrance fees to the attractions.

If it is only the apes you want to see, then your best option is to walk or free bus (number 2 I think) to the cable car and take that. I know people talk about long queues, but they are not that long. I walk by the cable car station often and have never seen queues into the street, it must be just when there is a big ship in.

Once at the top of the rock you get views in all directions and there are apes even though you are not at the apes den. If you want to walk down and take in the attractions, you can. It will take a couple of hours, but it is enjoyable.

Walking up and down is not impossible, I do it often at the weekends for exercise! It takes me 2 hours from sea level up and down. I don't stop to take photos and go inside the attractions. Maybe it is only for the hardy tourist.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to do rock from cruise ship

With a full day I reckon that walking up and down, seeing the attractions - Siege Tunnels & Caves - is a great way to see the main attraction in Gibraltar. You don't have to be super fit but but if the thought of a 5 mile walk makes you feel faint then pick another option. Walking up the rock is 50 pence without attractions. I think it is £10 to see the moorish castle, siege tunnels and Caves. Well worth it. You have to buy your ticket on way up at the entrance gate. You can't pay at the attractions. The WW11 tunnels are worth a look but a bit pricey at £8. Maybe best to leave them until you are coming down and decide if you have time.

Edited: 03 July 2011, 00:19
4. Re: Best way to do rock from cruise ship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 22:48
Get answers to your questions about Gibraltar