We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking independently from Porto to Santiago in March

Wellington, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Walking independently from Porto to Santiago in March

Hallo I'm keen to walk independently. Is it difficult to find someone to take my luggage each day and to find accomodation if I don't book? Can you start anytime? I'm thinking that as the weather might still be cold and rainy I'd like the option of stopping for a day or two rather than having to keep walking in bad weather. Also, would I be able to hire gear - like walking poles in Porto? Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,580 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking independently from Porto to Santiago in March

Yes, you can start any time. People start at various spots on all days of the week. And many people do take rest days rather than walking every day - sometimes to sightsee, sometimes to recover from illness or injury - or to wait out bad weather. Most of the time, if you stay in albergues, you'll need to move on each day, but there are also hotels and casa rurales along the way where you can stay multiple nights. With alberques, the hospitaleros may let you stay more than 1 night - depending on the situation.

You may need to walk in bad weather though if you are going to get to Santiago on any time of time frame - Galicia, Spain is a rainy sort of place - very beautiful and green, but rainy. You can see rain fall history mont-by-month for Pontevedra on this site - gives you an idea of what to expect in Galicia - March can definitely be a rainy month, that is for sure:

https:/…es.aspx

I don't know about pack transport on the Camino Portugues, but you can find out plenty of info about that and other stuff relating to the Portugues on this forum, which is much more active than the TA forum:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,592 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking independently from Porto to Santiago in March

For safety, I recommend walking with a companion.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,233 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking independently from Porto to Santiago in March

Benny stop writing rubbish. There is no safety concerns plus last year's total of 277,854 Compostelas issued. More than 295,000 Compostelas have been issued so far this year and there is a few months left.

Add to this some who walk to SdC do not register for a Compostela you will never be alone.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,706 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking independently from Porto to Santiago in March

I hiked the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago, and indeed i didn't register. And i completely agree about safety. Just about any kind of human activity involves more risk than hiking the Camino.

Santiago de...
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking independently from Porto to Santiago in March

Hi! I did the Portuguese way last year, March is not too rainy neither too hot in Portugal. You´ll find rain mostly when entering Galicia. For the backpack transfer and gear hire, I´ve used this year the Pilgrim guys - https://www.pilgrim.es/en/services/ I used them for backpack transfer and storage in Santiago and had quite a good experience with them. There´s also a beautiful path from Porto to Galicia that goes all around the coast. You can do it walking, but it´s recommendable to do it by bike - you´ll get less tired, enjoy the way and make it faster.

Wellington, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking independently from Porto to Santiago in March

Thank you everyone for your helpful comments!

Baiona, Spain
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking independently from Porto to Santiago in March

You may be interested to learn that the Spanish Post Office can also transfer your luggage each day in Galicia on the Portuguese Way see link elcaminoconcorreos.com/es/…camino-portugues I asked my PO in Baiona and they also do it for the route along the Coast. I have used the service in Galicia before (on the Winter Way!) it's only 5€ a day or 4€ if you agree to use the PO on al stages.

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking independently from Porto to Santiago in March

Hej, which day you wanna to walk from porto to Santiago? maybe we could be a company. i think i will be porto in 19th March. how about you ?

Reply to: Walking independently from Porto to Santiago in March
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santiago de Compostela