We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Madrid to Sitges

New York
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Madrid to Sitges

hello,

planning on visiting Spain in August.

How easy is train travel between Madrid and Sitges.

I've tried to figure it out on the Renfe site but I can't seem to get it.

From another post I think I would have to take the train to Tarragona, Is there a high speed train between the two? If not how long will the trip take?

From Tarragona is it easy to reach Sitges?

Do trains run frequently between the two point?

Thanks,

ICB

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Madrid to Sitges

hi, it is 600+ kms

you can take the train Madrid - Barcelona

(depending on type/price 3 hrs - 8 hrs)

and then local line in B: Cercanias/Rodalies to Sitges

www.renfe.es/cercanias/barcelona/index.html

in Spanish, pls search for explanations on the forum

:)

New York
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Madrid to Sitges

Thank you,

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Madrid to Sitges

I'mcomingback: on the other post you were traveling from Valencia that's a different scenario

The AVE fast trains do not stop at Tarragona itself but in another station (Camp de Tarragona). You would have to take a shuttle to Tarragona and then another regional train to Sitges. It probably will take more time and hassle that going to Barcelona and backtrack to Sitges

New York
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Madrid to Sitges

Hi Belisita,

Thanks for keeping up with me, I appreciate it.

My original thought was to come for two weeks. Then I would go to Valencia after Madrid. When I wrote this post yesterday I was thinking of eliminating Valencia and going straight to Sitges making my trip a total of 10 days in Spain. I was cutting down simply because of the terrible exchange rate.

Last night I looked into using miles for my airfare. I can if I stay an additional 4 days. This would give me the 2 full weeks I was thinking of originally which means I would add Valencia back.

Where I will be coming to Sitges from now depends on whether I decide to come to Spain for 10-14 days.

Thanks for looking out for me,

ICB

New York
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Madrid to Sitges

Just so I'm clear,

If I go to Sitges from Madrid I should take the AVE to Barcelona then get a train back to Sitges,

If I go from Valencia, I would take the train to Camp Tarragona, get a shuttle to Tarragona(is this a long ride) then get a regional train to Sitges?

Any idea how long the total trip from Valencia-Sitges would take?

Thanks very much.

ICB

PS,

If you ever come to NYC I promise to answer all of your questions ;)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Madrid to Sitges

No, no, no

Valencia to Barcelona: you may stop in Tarragona, and take train from there to Sitges, but I don't know how often these do run

Madrid to Barcelona AVE uses different train line that do NOT stop in Tarragona but in Camp the Tarragona. It will be less hassle to continue to Barcelona and take a "cercanias" train to Sitges

;)

New York
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Madrid to Sitges

Thanks Belsaita,

Your "no, no, no" made me laugh.

I think I've got it now.

8. Re: Train from Madrid to Sitges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 23:47