We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hola BCN travel card

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hola BCN travel card

Is the Hola BCN card good for travel to Sitges from Placa de Catalunya or Passeig de Gracia? Is it good for travel to Montserrat and the cable car to the monastery? I'm trying to decide if it would be better to pay for these trips separately and then buy the Hola BCN card for two days, or if it covers the above trips, to buy the Hola BCN card for four days.

Best Seller
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
3,129 Reviews
from US$ 45.20*
Best Seller
Montserrat Tour from Barcelona...
679 Reviews
from US$ 112.83*
Best Seller
City Sightseeing Barcelona Hop-On...
2,531 Reviews
from US$ 35.60*
113 replies to this topic
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Hola BCN travel card

Still the T-10 is the best value for money.

From Airport, you can either take Aerobus or if you want to make it cheaper, you can take a route that is included in your T-10 card, so you don't pay 10€ for the Aerobus

If you arrive at Terminal 1, buy the T-10 1 zone card from the tobacconist at Arrivals hall. Once you have your T-10 card, head for the Metropolitan buses stops and look for bus #46 (signed as buses and the 46 number under it along PR1, etc). Take bus #46 and validate your T-10 card on that bus, at the white machine with the top slot that is behind or next to the driver (that way you can learn how to share a T-10 card, just insert the card twice if you are 2 people). That bus goes to Plaça Espanya, so you must get off at the stop called "Plaça Espanya-FGC" (it is where most people get off). Wait at the same stop you got off (don't move) and take buses H12, H16, L94, L95 (any of them will do, they run very often combining those lines). Any of those buses will drop you at Plaça Universitat. Remember that you must validate again your T-10 card the same way you did when getting on the other bus, but the machine will not stamp any new journey because transferring transports is considered free of charge.

This way takes more time than Aerobus (aprox 20-25 more min) but is cheaper (1€ per head) and you can learn how to use a T-10 card.

Remember, the arrow of the T-10 card always points to the slot of the validator and you must see the arrow. Green light with a short beep means all ok, red light with loud noise means you might have not inserted it properly, ended ticket or can't read ticket (that case go to the driver or staff and they will replace your T-10 with a new one)

Silicon Valley, CA
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
52. Re: Hola BCN travel card

Thanks for the info, amirlivne and Joan G. We went with the Aerobus (due to the size/amount of luggage) and T-10's.

As others had predicted, we wound up mostly walking around Barcelona, then timing the bus/metro rides to get as many destinations covered under a single 75 minute transfer (travel from A to B, spend less than an hour at B, then get into a bus/metro from B to C no more than 75 minutes after starting travel from A). For 5 days, two of us used a total of 14 "tickets" on 2 T-10's (so, 6 "tickets" remaining) - considerably cheaper than buying Hola BCN's.

Important note about transfers: within one 75 minute transfer window, you can only enter the metro system once (although you can transfer between lines as long as you don't exit the system), and you can only ride one particular bus number once (so, if you take bus X from A to B, look around B for 5 minutes, then try to take the next bus X from B to C, it counts as 2 tickets, not a transfer).

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
Save Reply
53. Re: Hola BCN travel card

Just a reflection... at the end of the day, the T-10 is so cheap that one doesn't really need to worry about transfer windows at all. If you happen to make two journeys on two means of transport and it's covered under this window, the system will manage it and won't cancel two journeys on your card, if it's not, it will cancel a second journey when using the card... so what? we're talking about an extra euro.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
5,182 posts
Save Reply
54. Re: Hola BCN travel card

I'll miss it when it's gone )-:

Bali
Level Contributor
29 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Hola BCN travel card

Hello!

I'm traveling for the 1st time to Barcelona on Nov 2017, for a conference there, but will have 2 free days to explore the city. I will be staying around La Rambla, probably... (is it a good idea to stay there)?

I've read a lot in this thread, but still have no idea on how to know this tourist object is in what zone?

Please advise me what are must to visit in Barcelona? If I go with the recommended T-10 card, means I have to buy entrance fee for each tourism object separately, right?

Thank you for advices :)

Barcelona
Level Contributor
5,182 posts
Save Reply
56. Re: Hola BCN travel card

The T-10 card is a 10 journey card for all integrated public transport means. It has nothing to do with the attractions.

In the Barcelona metropolitan area there are 6 zones and zones 2-6 are divided into sub zones but tha manin zone, zone 1, includes the whole city of Barcelona together with the nearby towns, including the airport so a 1 zone T-10 card is all that you need (for example, all city buses and all metro lines are in zone 1).

For entry fee to sites, you buy it separately, either on the spot or in advance online. In some popular sites you should consider booking in advance, especially places like Sagrada Familia, Park Guell or the Picasso museum. It is also recommended to pre book a place if you want a guided tour (some places offer one as an option and a few as the only option) as you also need to ensure a spot for your preferred language.

With a few places,/services, like the HoHo bus, the Montjuic cable car, the zoo and a few others, you'll get a discount if you book it online.

I assume that your question about paying entree fee was due to the Barcelona Card option that includes free transport (only in some of the integrated transport means) and free entry/discount to some attractions. The problem is that this card is rarely, if ever, worthwhile so It's not recommended (in any case the 2 days card, called Barcelona Card Express, only offers discounts without the free entry option).

San Jose, California
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Hola BCN travel card

Hello!

I will spend 3 days exploring Barcelona. Will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express Sant Cugat. Please let me know how to use the T-10 To from BCN airport to hotel. Should I take the train and the metro to the hotel? Is the hotel in zone 2? Thanks for any help.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Hola BCN travel card

Sant Cugat is at Zone 2, so yes, you will have to buy a 2 Zone T-10 card.

There is no metro at Sant Cugat. You will have to get off at Passeig de Gracia with the Rodalies R2 Nord train, and from there walk a bit to FGC Provença stop (10 min). From there, grab a S2 service to Sabadell, get off at Sant Joan.

The hotel is not at Barcelona city, it is outside in an industrial zone. And it is more expensive to travel because it is at Zone 2, which duplicates the price of travelling.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
5,182 posts
Save Reply
59. Re: Hola BCN travel card

In your plan is to explore the city of Barcelona and stay in Sant Cugat buy two T-10 cards, one for 2 zones and one for one zone. Use the 2 zones card to get to/from Sant Cugat and the 1 zone card to move around the city. There is no point in wasting the more expensive 2 zones card on journeys inside one zone (you should also use the 1 zone card for any journey inside zone 2C, like inside Sant Cugat or if you travel to Sabadell).

Remember to use the 2 zones T-10 card for the whole journey to/from Sant Cugat, so if you leave Sant Cugat in the morning and head, for example, to Sagrada Familia enter the FGC with the 2 zones card but use the same card to change to the metro/bus/tram in the city until you reach your destination (in this case change to the L5 at Provança and use the 2 zones card to continue with the L5 metro) as the card includes up to 3 changes during 1h30, do the same for your journey back, for example if you are in Pl. Espanya enter the L1 metro with your 2 zones card and change at Pl. Catalunya, using the same card to the FGC train to Sant Cugat. Use the T-10 one zone card only for journeys that start and end inside the same zone (you still have 3 changes during 75 minutes).

San Jose, California
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Hola BCN travel card

Thanks! If I use the 2 zone T-10 From BCN to Passeig De Gracia with the Rodalies R2 train and then the S2 train from Provenca to Sant Joan is that considered one ticket?

Reply to: Hola BCN travel card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted