We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Ramblas area safety

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Las Ramblas area safety

I'll be staying in Barcelona with two Pre-teen girls, and have a room at the top of Ramblas near Plaza Catalunya. I read multiple reports on this forum that the Ramblas is not a safe area. Is this still the case? I chose this location assuming this would be a safe location for us to come back by ourselves from events late night (midnight or earlier). Should I change locations, and if so, to where? Also, how safe is it to take taxis in Barcelona?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Las Ramblas area safety

Actually nearly 10 million visitors who did not suffer any crime in Barcelona in 2011...

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,456 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Las Ramblas area safety

Hi Belsaita,

I tried to find the current figure but all I could find was the 2010 figure, 7,133,524 in here at slide 21

slideshare.net/barcelonabusiness/data-angles…

and the fact that tourism increased by 4.4% in 2011, here

…bcn.cat/V01/…

which would have made it 7.41 million, but if the figure is even higher that's even better.

Actually I've just seen the (very) small print on the slide under the number of tourists that says 'staying in hotels' so presumably it excludes all the people staying in apartments, or people like me who stay with friends

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Las Ramblas area safety

Hi Doff,

I did heard the million figure recently on the local TV news. They were speaking about 'visitors' (not necessarily staying for the night). Just cruise passengers sum about 2.5 million per year. Plus as you say the 7milliiom figure is only regarding people staying in hotels so we must add those staying apartments or with friends...

In any case, its A LOT of people who came back home with all their belongings plus some nice memories :)

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Las Ramblas area safety

Safe area, if you put a bag down for a minute and turn your head it could disappear but you won't get hurt, you won't even know what happened. Also don't wear a purse with weak strings, they can spot that easily.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Las Ramblas area safety

"... I hope we can manage to do that without incident. "

I look like a tourist because I dress as one and do not care what people think nor do I try to pretent to be something I not a, a person that lives in Barcelona . I carry a map in my back pocket so I do not get lost. I carry expensive camera gear because I like shooting photographs. I carry a phone because once in a while a get a phone call from the US so people in the streets on Barcelona will hear me talk in my New York City accent. When I get on the subway I will study the map to make sure I going in the right direction. I even stare (gawk) at the sites. I am so bad as I am gawking sometimes other tourists will stare too at what I am gawking about.

With that all said nothing has every happen to me in Barcelona and that is without any hope! :)

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Las Ramblas area safety

Thank you all, and Bill_from_NYC - other than the expensive camera part, you so described me! I am constantly distracted by my kids ;-), and thus choose not to have anything else with me that would compete for my attention. If I lose a backpack with a few euros, or a coat, so be it. I'd rather not brood over it and sour the wonderful memories of a trip where a lot of planning (and dreaming) went into.

I'm weeks away from the trip, but can't wait!

17. Re: Las Ramblas area safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 01:46