We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best route by car around top of Spain

sydneyAust
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
best route by car around top of Spain

Hi People

Arriving Barcelona for 4 days in mid October, ten picking up a car, would like to go to Pamplona/San sebastian/Bilbao/Andorra (over 8 days) and then into France with 12 days to paris

Seeing its our 1st time in Spain could you please help with

Must see's

Must do's

must stay's / eat at

etc

HELP

France, Andorra, and Spain from...
1,046 reviews
from US$ 146.60*
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
2,948 reviews
from US$ 44.30*
Barcelona City Tour, Sagrada Familia...
1,650 reviews
from US$ 112.40*
Special Offer
Montserrat and Oller del Mas Tour...
441 reviews
from US$ 112.70*
US$ 118.63
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best route by car around top of Spain

Hola Ed!

Instead of asking for Must See's and Must Do's on more than 6 cities, perhaps you should read each forum (TA Barcelona, TA San Sebastian, TA Bilbao, TA Pamplona, TA Andora, TA Paris....) and look at the FAQs. These will help you figure out what is your personal Must See list. Only you know what interests you.

For example, I was in San Sebastian and Bilbao for more than a week. From there, I drove up into France to the Dordogne to see the caves (prehistoric painted and mineral). In San Sebastian, we ate at several 3 star Michelin restaurants, as many pintxo bars as we could and took relaxing strolls near La Concha beach. In Bilbao, we visited the Guggenheim museum. We've been to Paris before several times so we weren't interested in doing that. See what I mean? That was my trip, based upon my interests and research. You need to do some research for yourself.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best route by car around top of Spain

As Gigis_mum said, for "must see" in the mentioned cities go to those cities forums. As for the way, it depends on your plan.

I would skip Andorra as I do not think it's that interesting, it's basically a big shopping mall and you might find your self spending hours on traffic (they keep changing and expending the road but it's so small there are no options, I once got stuck there for 3 hours).

If you decide to skip Andorra but still want to see the Spanish part of the Pyrenees you can take the side roads to Pamplona, from there to Bilbao, San Sebastián and there cross to France.

If you must go to Andorra I suggest you take the highway to Bilbao (not cheap but fast) from there go to San Sebastián and Pamplona and then go through the Spanish Pyrenees to Andorra and get out of Andorra on the French side. The area there is beautiful.

sydneyAust
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best route by car around top of Spain

Thanks for your input and will take heed of the FAQ's

what I was after were the hidden treasures, the little side trips (discovered)

As far as restaurants are concerned, yes we are doing Mugeritz, Arzak in san sebastian and Passage 53 in Paris

thanks again ed

4. Re: best route by car around top of Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 02:49