We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help 1st trip with daughter

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
197 posts
222 reviews
Save Topic
Please Help 1st trip with daughter

Hi,

I am just starting to plan a trip in March with my 19 yr old daughter. My daughter speaks fluent spanish which is a plus. We have a small window because she will be on college break. We were thinking about flying into Barcelona and flying back to NY from Madrid or vice versa. After doing some research it sounds as though we should spend 3 days at least in Barcelona and head to Madrid with maybe 2 day trips to Segovia and to Teledo. Any suggestions???? We want nice hotels in great areas. Thanks

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,153 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help 1st trip with daughter

I do an annual trip to a European city with my niece (who is 17) every year. This year's trip was last week and it was to barcelona. We stayed in the El Condes and we found the area Passeig de Gracia brilliant (and very safe) with loads of great shops and restaurants nearby. We found taxis very cheap and whizzed about during our 4 night trip and experienced no safety concerns whatsover.

last year's trip was to madrid which we both loved. We stayed on the Gran Via at the Emperador. We really loved the rooftop terrace and pool area. Not only did you get great views of the city, it was lovely to relax for a bit after the heat and hustle and bustle of the city..though probably not so relevant for the time of year you are thinking of. madrid is a lovely city and there is more than enough to do and see in 2 days there without doing even more travelling (imo)

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
197 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help 1st trip with daughter

Thank you, this information is very helpful.

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
69 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help 1st trip with daughter

Yes, you should do at least three days in Barcelona.

Depending on your time in Madrid, I highly recommend Toledo: it's one of the most stunning historic towns we've seen.

I just posted our recent trip under the heading: Report on a great active itinerary

Picture gallery: https:/…

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
148 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Help 1st trip with daughter

DBeth

Have visited Barcelona and Madrid (with daytrips to both Segovia and Toledo). IMO 3 days is not enough for either Barcelona or Madrid as there is so much to do in both cities, though they have a very different vibe. Personally I would choose one destination and enjoy all that has to offer rather than rushing around and skimming the surface. I love both Barcelona and Madrid but for different reasons. If you do go to Madrid, Toledo is a lovely town for a daytrip. If you go there take the little tourist train trip which gives you stunning views of the town and its surroundings and is well worthwhile. The aqueduct in Segovia is simply stunning but I didn't enjoy this town as much as Toledo. Regards Amelia

5. Re: Please Help 1st trip with daughter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 00:48