We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montuic - Visitors can just walk-up and buy tickets, right?

Washington
Level Contributor
130 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Montuic - Visitors can just walk-up and buy tickets, right?

Is there a need to buy tickets in advance? I want to check out the amazing views, and I also want to check-out the castle.

I'll be in Barcelona during La Merce, and I don't want to miss it.

Edited: 06 September 2017, 19:30
France, Andorra, and Spain from...
1,022 reviews
from US$ 144.40*
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
2,927 reviews
from US$ 48.50*
Barcelona City Tour, Sagrada Familia...
1,641 reviews
from US$ 110.70*
Special Offer
Montserrat Tour from Barcelona...
416 reviews
from US$ 110.99*
US$ 116.84
7 replies to this topic
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montuic - Visitors can just walk-up and buy tickets, right?

Montjuic is a hill, it is free for everyone. It isn't a resort park.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montuic - Visitors can just walk-up and buy tickets, right?

Tickets for what? It's a hill. There are things that you can buy tickets for, like the Fundacio Miro or the cable car, but most of it is public access.

Washington
Level Contributor
130 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montuic - Visitors can just walk-up and buy tickets, right?

Thanks for the info. I was speaking of the castle. Don't you need tickets for that?

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montuic - Visitors can just walk-up and buy tickets, right?

Yes, you pay a ticket. You pay it there.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
587 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montuic - Visitors can just walk-up and buy tickets, right?

Cali_Doll: You can see the amazing views without a ticket, but yes, you ordinarily do need a ticket to get into the castle. Your question is a good one. Last year there were La Merce events at the castle (specifically circus events). Someone on this forum (regrettably not I) should be able to tell you whether the events are inside the castle and open to the public for free, or whether you still need a ticket for the castle during La Merce (instead of chiding you for non-existent ambiguity - you did say you "want to check-out the castle"). [Sorry Joan and Chris, you answers are usually on point and highly informative.]

I can answer for non-La Merce periods: I have been there three times and never saw a significant line. You can buy tickets on site. The only question is whether La Merce makes a difference. I hope someone can give you an answer. Good luck!

[I see my answer crossed with Joan's second response, but you still ask a good question about La Merce]

Edited: 06 September 2017, 19:51
Washington
Level Contributor
130 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montuic - Visitors can just walk-up and buy tickets, right?

BGJ, that is very helpful!!! I truly appreciate your answer and kindness.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montuic - Visitors can just walk-up and buy tickets, right?

Tickets were mentioned twice before the castle (fort) was introduced. Of course there was ambiguity. My first thought was that the question would be about the Miro museum.

Hitherto, the events for La Mercè have been in the moat around the fort which is both broad and dry. That doesn't mean that they won't also be inside the fort this year. They like to change things around and keep you guessing. Most of them are aimed at younger audiences, but they can be enjoyed by everyone.

As regards tickets, it is possible that 'portes obertes' might be in force, which means that entry charges will be waived. I'm pretty certain that that was the case the last time we went inside the fort, so definitely no need to pay in advance. From memory it was just a case of walk in through the impressive entrance and there was no evidence that it was free, or indeed that on some occasions it might not be.

Reply to: Montuic - Visitors can just walk-up and buy tickets, right?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted