We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Andorra day trip with explore Catalunya or trip to tarragona

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
170 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Andorra day trip with explore Catalunya or trip to tarragona

I have a day trip booked with explore Catalunya for the three countries in a day tour - I was soo excited about this trip and the reviews looked good. Not mainly about Andorra but about the other villages and the mountain scenery which I'm mainly doing it for. However I have had a few people say to skip this trip and do something different like tarragona??

My question is I will be seeing so many beautiful buildings and architecture in Barcelona that I thought the Andorra trip would be something different!

Looking for people's opinions on the above ??

8 replies to this topic
Province of Girona...
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Andorra day trip with explore Catalunya or trip to tarragona

Personally, I would opt for Val de Nuria instead of Andorra. Outside of the winter season, the main attraction to Andorra is the duty free shopping and Andorra la Vella can be very polluted depending on the weather conditions, as smog hangs in the valley. At times the queues leaving can be long, due to Customs checks

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Andorra day trip with explore Catalunya or trip to tarragona

You don't need to go all the way to Andorra to see the Pyrenees. Waste of time. #1 is a good suggestion but you could also just go up above Besalu/Olot/Castelfollit de la Roca/Oix (in that order) - quite nice up there and a lot closer.

Puigcerda is also an interesting option, closer than Andorra.

Tarragona is well worth it, and close by!

Edited: 06 September 2017, 16:54
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
170 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Andorra day trip with explore Catalunya or trip to tarragona

You read my mind I just noticed the tour to Pyrenees looks amazing has anyone done this one with explore Catalunya? I'm keen to do the horse ride too!!

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,453 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Andorra day trip with explore Catalunya or trip to tarragona

I've already provided some info.

On the negative side, the 12 hour 3 countries tour looks like a minimum of 7.5 hours of driving. Assuming that it is in a coach which will be slower than smaller vehicles, it could be more than that. If you're stopping in Dubai on the way from Australia the next leg of the flight won't be much longer than that. Also a lot of the trip will be on fairly major roads.

On the positive side, of course it will be different to Barcelona. The Pyrenees are gorgeous, as is the Cadi-Moixero. However the time allowed is so short. We've been to Cadi-Moixero quite often. We usually allow ourselves a couple of hours to simply enjoy the views and the environment at the viewpoint on the side of Pedraforca.

Actually the good bits of the tour sound pretty good. I think it would be quite nice to include most of them in, say a two or three day visit when the amount of driving would be diluted by time spent in interesting places. We might have to drive into Baga the next time we're up that way. We've been to lots of villages to the east and west that are further from the main roads but I don't remember having been to Baga and we might have dismissed it because of its proximity to the C-16. If your tour is a small one, perhaps you can convince them to omit the 'duty free shopping' bit and get them to take you to, say, the Mirador de Gresolet or for a quick look at La Pobla de Lillet instead.

Tarragona is very different to Barcelona. It's a much more relaxed vibe. It's much smaller of course and therefore easier to see plenty of highlights. It's still a city, though, so it can't be as different as passing through a wild mountain environment would be. However it's one of the most frequently recommended day trips from Barcelona for a reason.

Finally, three hours on a train versus 7 on a coach. No contest, really. The trains are comfortable and spacious and in my experience, pretty reliable. You don't need an advance booking and tickets are easy to purchase.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,453 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Andorra day trip with explore Catalunya or trip to tarragona

I think you could do most of the Pyrenees trip on your own for rather less money. The horse-riding is almost certainly and added extra.

http://www.valldenuria.cat/en/summer/

The one thing you wouldn't be able to do at the same time is visit Vic, which is a super little town. However we've only been once and we stayed for about 7 hours, including lunch. I'm guessing that you wouldn't get more than an hour there to fit everything else in.

Southampton
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Andorra day trip with explore Catalunya or trip to tarragona

Tarragona's very nice, i wouldnt bother with andorra. The Vall de Nuria trip is worth it. We visited both Ribes de Freser and Queralbs which are en route and found them to be charming villages.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,639 posts
3,653 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Andorra day trip with explore Catalunya or trip to tarragona

The trip to Andorra takes many hours and it is mostly a shopping trip. I would go to Tarragona instead.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Andorra day trip with explore Catalunya or trip to tarragona

You can visit Vic on your own, by train. Not as popular as a day-trip as Tarragona is, but definitely worth a look

Reply to: Andorra day trip with explore Catalunya or trip to tarragona
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted