We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see around Barcelona in a week

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
What to see around Barcelona in a week

Hi

We are arriving to Barcelona for 2 weeks.

On the 2nd week we will be exploring Barcelona the city.

On the first week we would like to do some hiking, nature and stuff like that with a rental car.

It seems that there is alot of beautiful things to see in the area of San Sebastian, but its 5.5h hour drive and I'm not sure if its worth it as none of us has been in Barcelona area before.

Are there some good spots near barcelona that are closer than San Sebastian that could spare the 5.5 hour drive? I want to see some mountains/lakes and do some hiking. I guess we could drive to Val de Tena area and sleep there 2-3 nights. Its still closer than San Sebastian and seems like there is beautiful nature there.

If we do stay in Barcelona area where is a good place to sleep that will be close to the nature'ish locations?

Thanks in advance.

Best Seller
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
3,134 Reviews
from US$ 45.50*
Best Seller
Montserrat Tour from Barcelona...
689 Reviews
from US$ 113.59*
Best Seller
City Sightseeing Barcelona Hop-On...
2,533 Reviews
from US$ 35.90*
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,983 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see around Barcelona in a week

Literally anywhere in The Pyrenees. Mountains are easier to find than lakes. Time of year can be important because the mountains are cold in the winter and potentially dangerous to the unprepared.

Vall de Nuria might work for a couple of days but unless I was on a skiing holiday I would not like to stay there for a week.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see around Barcelona in a week

It will be the week of 14.9-21.9.

Looking for some easy family hikes nothing extreme :)

Edited: 05 September 2017, 17:09
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,983 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see around Barcelona in a week

Back just in time for La Merce.

The whole of Catalunya has lots of beautiful scenery and many places to walk. Montserrat is a great day out and if you take the cable car and funicular the summit can be reached by an easy and spectacular walk that most people of reasonable fitness can cope with.

Further south, Siurana is a spectacular viillage on a high cliff overlooking a reservoir. There are walks in the area - probably about 90 minutes from Barcelona. The extinct volcanic cones around Olot are interesting and accessible and there are some fine walks in Garraf. There are routes linking monasteries and you can wander around the beehive stone structures near El Pla de Santa Maria. There's lots of choice all over Catalunya.

Edited: 05 September 2017, 17:17
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see around Barcelona in a week

What beach town do you suggest to stay in to be in reasonable driving distance from those (up to 1.5 hours is reasonable i guess).

How is Mataró?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,983 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see around Barcelona in a week

I don't. We seldom bother with beach towns. For us, the rest of the region is more interesting.

They're not all close together. For Siurana, I would stay in Siurana, for example, or perhaps Tarragona, which has a beach but is decidedly not a beach town. For Olot I'd stay in Olot. Montserrat can be visited easily direct from Barcelona. For the beehive huts, an interesting and easy half day that could be combined with a visit to Montblanc, say, or the Santes Creus monastery, probably Tarragona again. I'm actually planning on revisiting the latter next month but I'll be staying in nearby Valls, which is probably not the sort of thing you're looking for.

www.vegueries.com/asp/rutasVCAT.asp…

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see around Barcelona in a week

Tossa de mar is a nice beachtown and as it will be off season it will be relaxed. close to Girona where you should definitely try to spend a day. Very compact walkable city. Mataro is nothing of interest. Vilassar de Mar is nice but not too many accomodation options. I like the town as the food scene has improved alot in the last number of years. Have a look on the maps and you will get an ideaof distances etc.

Edited: 05 September 2017, 19:35
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
69,933 posts
3,785 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to see around Barcelona in a week

Sitges is a nice beach town near Barcelona.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to see around Barcelona in a week

Sitges could be a base to explore the Garraf and Penedes area.

With friends staying in Sitges last year, we went to Olerdola which is just inland from Sitges, to see the spectacularly-located Iberian site

patrimoni.gencat.cat/en/collection/olerdola

enoturismepenedes.cat/en/…olerdola

9. Re: What to see around Barcelona in a week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2018, 09:47