We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giorgio de Chirico Exhibition at CaixaForum Unitl Oct. 22.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,621 posts
3,653 reviews
Save Topic
Giorgio de Chirico Exhibition at CaixaForum Unitl Oct. 22.

The CaixaForum is holding the first large Giogio de Chirico Exhibition in Spain. Giorgio de Chirico is considered the most famous Italian artist of the 20th century.

https://caixaforum.es/barcelona/visitanos

7 replies to this topic
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,453 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Giorgio de Chirico Exhibition at CaixaForum Unitl Oct. 22.

If you're a De Chirico fan, definitely worth a look. I think that the entrance fee was €4 pp. CaixaForum itself is also worth investigating and the modernist roof is free to access. I have to say I found the exhibition a bit wearisome. The artist used lots of themes and some of them got a bit repetitive. We did laugh a few times though. I suspect that was what De Chirico intended.

I think if I'd have been asked to name the 'most famous' Italian artist of the 20th century I'd have gone for Giacometti. Turns out he was Swiss so that probably gives you an idea of my level of knowledge on the subject.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Giorgio de Chirico Exhibition at CaixaForum Unitl Oct. 22.

I enjoyed the exhibition, and am going on a guided tour in a couple of weeks, to find out a bit more about him.

One thing we discovered was that he was born in Greece (and trained in Munich, which was perhaps even more of a surprise). From the videos being projected he did seem to have a dry sense of humour

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,453 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Giorgio de Chirico Exhibition at CaixaForum Unitl Oct. 22.

I don't think it helped that we probably went round the exhibition in reverse order. I think we should have gone counter-clockwise. There didn't seem to be any signage and people were going in both directions but I felt part way around that I needed to see 'this' before 'that', but I'd already seen 'that'.

It was out first time at CaixaForum (more because so much of our time in Barcelona is already put to use than because of a lack of enthusiasm) and we were really only able to go because the atrocities on La Rambla meant that my carefully constructed schedule had to be abandoned. We thought, overall, that it was excellent and we'll definitely go again and we didn't begrudge the €8 we spent to see the exhibition. I think access to the roof and some of the galleries was free. I also had a very nice cake in the café :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
516 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Giorgio de Chirico Exhibition at CaixaForum Unitl Oct. 22.

FWIW, CaixaForum is located in a modernist masterpiece factory by Puig i Cadafalch. The building (which consists of several pavilions) is worth visiting in its own right, and you can stroll around the building, visit the very interesting rooftop, and visit the cafe for free. They only charge for the exhibits. We saw several that were worthwhile.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Giorgio de Chirico Exhibition at CaixaForum Unitl Oct. 22.

Chris, I totally agree with you, that the layout of this exhibition is confusing, I also wondered which way we were supposed to go round it, having started by reading his biography....but then I changed direction. It was strange as normally the circuit is very clear (turn right and walk counter clockwise). I thought the décor was very well done, reflecting the paintings.

The exhibitions are generally excellent, very well designed and informative. And varied, lots on ancient civilisations as well as artists, selections from a specific museum's collection etc . One on Andy Warhol coming up next

I think the ticket is valid for all the exhibitions, but may be wrong (we don't have to pay as we are Caixa customers, so get in free just showing a bank-card).

Edited: 08 September 2017, 03:46
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,453 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Giorgio de Chirico Exhibition at CaixaForum Unitl Oct. 22.

I'm glad it wasn't just us :) Perhaps it was intentional. We'll know better next time.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Giorgio de Chirico Exhibition at CaixaForum Unitl Oct. 22.

I was wondering that, after I'd written my reply yesterday! I'll ask the guide when I'm on the tour.

Reply to: Giorgio de Chirico Exhibition at CaixaForum Unitl Oct. 22.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted