We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Salamanca to Madrid Airport on a Public Holiday

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,324 posts
457 reviews
Bus from Salamanca to Madrid Airport on a Public Holiday

Hi people

I'm trying to plan a trip which includes a bus trip on Avanza from Salamanca to Madrid Airport on 23 April, which I understand is a public holiday in Castille and Leon.

I've exchanged a few Facebook messages with Avanza to see if they can confirm that they will run these services on this date next year (and that they ran them this year). I haven't had much joy, the only thing I can get from them is that the timetable for 2019 is not loaded yet, which of course I know.

So, has anybody had any experiences of travelling by bus on this Public Holiday in the past? DO the services still run?

10 replies to this topic
NY
Destination Expert
for Salamanca
Level Contributor
511 posts
96 reviews
1. Re: Bus from Salamanca to Madrid Airport on a Public Holiday

Gosh, this is an excellent question. I will admit that I have never heard of this "holiday" --- so had to google it. I don't have an answer for you right now, but let me see if I can find anything out for you. Stay tuned.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,324 posts
457 reviews
2. Re: Bus from Salamanca to Madrid Airport on a Public Holiday

Thanks Salachic. Commemorates the Battle of Villalar in 1521. Some people have long memories!

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
70,716 posts
3,787 reviews
3. Re: Bus from Salamanca to Madrid Airport on a Public Holiday

I would take the train.

https:/…Buying.Renfe.Tickets.Online.html

In Madrid the train leaves you at the Chamartin Station. You can get a taxi to the airport for the flat fee of 30 euros and the taxi will take about 30 minutes to get to the airport.

Edited: 12 September 2018, 07:51
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,324 posts
457 reviews
4. Re: Bus from Salamanca to Madrid Airport on a Public Holiday

As a last resort that would be my fall back option Benny (provided the trains are also running on the holiday, of course). But the direct bus to the terminal remains the preferred option.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
8,721 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Bus from Salamanca to Madrid Airport on a Public Holiday

buses run everyday (except christmas and new years probably), but being it a holiday there could be less services than on a regular day.

Level Contributor
751 posts
1 review
6. Re: Bus from Salamanca to Madrid Airport on a Public Holiday

Trains run every day and the transfer in Chamartín station is rather painless (even with luggage). Since the train is faster than the bus, I'd personally take the train too.

NY
Destination Expert
for Salamanca
Level Contributor
511 posts
96 reviews
7. Re: Bus from Salamanca to Madrid Airport on a Public Holiday

ctrunfree --- just checked with Avanzabus --- while next years schedule is not posted, there will be regular service that day. April 23 is a Tuesday next year, so whatever buses usually run on Tuesdays will be running. I had them check last year also and no holiday changes were made to their services.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,324 posts
457 reviews
8. Re: Bus from Salamanca to Madrid Airport on a Public Holiday

Thanks Salachic, that's great to know. Thanks for checking. I was struggling having a conversation with them via Facebook and Google Translate!

NY
Destination Expert
for Salamanca
Level Contributor
511 posts
96 reviews
9. Re: Bus from Salamanca to Madrid Airport on a Public Holiday

Not a problem!! So all that is left is to finalize your plans and enjoy Spain and especially Salamanca. But remember the famous quote from Miguel de Cervantes: Salamanca casts a spell on all those who have enjoyed its peacefulness, awakening the desire to return.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,324 posts
457 reviews
10. Re: Bus from Salamanca to Madrid Airport on a Public Holiday

That's OK, we intend to continue to spend Easter in Spain as long as the knees hold up!

Reply to: Bus from Salamanca to Madrid Airport on a Public Holiday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted