We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto de la Cruz - Any hidden gems for repeat visitors?

London, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto de la Cruz - Any hidden gems for repeat visitors?

We went to Puerto in 2010, and loved it so much that went back in 2011, and now going back again in November for three weeks.

We've done most of the excursions, and will be doing couple more this time (Loro Parque again of course).

But I'm wondering if there are more "local" things to discover in the vicinity. I fully intend to keep going back here regularly, and now definitely interested in getting to know the place even better. So any suggestions welcome.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,637 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto de la Cruz - Any hidden gems for repeat visitors?

Hi Dolly .... look at this TA article......

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187481-s407/Puerto…

Also a 10 to 15 minute trip to Orotava , where the Casa Los Balcon is ... and Orotava such a lovely town ... look at this slide show , and put it on wide screen ...

slideshare.net/arturo.a.c/paseando-por-la-vi…

The Abaco Mansion ( the old Governors house ) also a nice place to visit , just beyond La Paz ...and they have concerts there .... and at lunch time Canary Dancing ...

Sylla

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto de la Cruz - Any hidden gems for repeat visitors?

Hi

If you have not been before go to Hotel Tigaiga Sunday morning about 11.00AM for Canarian dancing/singing and a display of Canarian wrestling {IMO well worth it}. Risco Bello with the black swans is another nice area to stroll around. The Botanical Gardens is another wander area if you are into plants.

If you want shopping Al Campo complex is only a short distance away from Puerto and only another attraction often over looked is Pueblochico {Tenerife in miniature}

I know it was open late last year but would need checking but at Los Vinos there is {just over from the Dragon tree} Mariposario {the butterfly farm} where as you walk round the butterflys can {and do} land on you {great for some unusual photographs to show back home}

Hope this helps

Sparhawk1

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,673 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto de la Cruz - Any hidden gems for repeat visitors?

Visit to the umbrella factory !!!..................rolf

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
404 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto de la Cruz - Any hidden gems for repeat visitors?

Dolly,

Orchid Garden just off Avenida Botanica - enjoy yourself when you are there.

Oleg, always seem to interupt intelligent discussion, bet ye luv PDLC and its all a joke to you.

Deefiaant 10

glasgow
Level Contributor
336 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto de la Cruz - Any hidden gems for repeat visitors?

Sparhawk...dont know Risco Bello can you tell me where it is? thanks.

Dee like you i am sure OLNF just loves Puerto and he is winding us all up.

One Leg when are you due to visit Puerto ?? we wil be visiting soon and dont want to get rain lol

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,673 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto de la Cruz - Any hidden gems for repeat visitors?

It should have been Monday 24 Sept but thankfully i dont have to now go to sort out the flowers as my daughter has sourced them in the South ,so you should be ok Melm .Sadly i dont love Peurto ,to much hassle and isolating for me .But thats not to say others wont and cant enjoy it .Just dont go when i am up there its always either cloudy,wet,or cool .......

Cant find anything in the T&C's about interupting intellegent discussion .But as this post laid stagnant for some 14 hours least a few more are posting !!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto de la Cruz - Any hidden gems for repeat visitors?

Hi Melm

Yes it is easy to find, it is up in Taoro park area {not that I am suggesting you do it} but the easiest way to explain where it is is to say IF you were to climb the steps leading up to Taoro park as you get to the very top {and if like me you take off your oxegen mask} just look to your left, you will see a sign that says "Aquatic Gdns" or something like that and if you follow that narrow roadway down to the end you are at Risco Bello.

It is built on many levels so for people with walking problems it would not be an advisable thing to try but we have had many a nice couple of hours just wandering around.

I was strange as for many years we used to do the walk through Taoro and down the steps by the man made waterfall to go into town and although we saw the sigh never took a look until about 5 years ago when on a whim I said to the wife it might be nice to see what it was al about and we are so glad we did.

It was built be the parents of the lady that runs it and she will be more than happy to tell you all about it.At the start/end is a nice "tea room" with tables on the grass where you can sit, rest and have a drink if you want. To us well worth the wander round :0) Below is a link to some reviews that have been done on TA

tripadvisor.in/Attraction_Review-g187481-d10…

Hope this helps

Sparhawk1

glasgow
Level Contributor
336 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto de la Cruz - Any hidden gems for repeat visitors?

Sparhawk thanks for your reply. Have been in this area many times and have never come across these gardens. your link was really interesting. i love gardens. Maybe this time we will take a taxi up and explore. thanks again.

one leg what can i say other than each to their own. still enjoy your wit .

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,211 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto de la Cruz - Any hidden gems for repeat visitors?

Here is a nice article on Risco Bello tenerife-holiday-home-insider.com/risco-bell… there is a small entrance fee open every day from 09.30 – 18.00; entrance free to café, €4 to water gardens

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto de la Cruz - Any hidden gems for repeat visitors?

Hi Melm

Glad I could help, it is funny that as I have said before you can visit a place like Puerto for years and years and still find thing that you have not found before. It is the one thing I do like about this forum and the regulars that post on here as sometimes they can suggest a place that we may not even have known about and through this forum we find yet another delight on the island:0)

If you do manage to visit it I do hope you have a great time

Sparhawk1