We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days only

Stratford...
3 posts
Save Topic
3 days only

Hi! My friend and I are arriving in Tenerife aug 22 and are trying to come up with an itinerary that is doable for our 3 day trip. We are staying at hotel botanico but I heard it’s a bit out of the way...

Mock itinerary:

Day 1: local beach, relax and explore town, maybe sunset boat cruise?

Day 2: snorkel with turtles, at night stargazing tour in mt teide

Day 3: beach (maybe las Teresita’s?)

Thoughts??

9 replies to this topic
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days only

Hi, the Hotel Botanico is in the La Paz area, there are lots of small boutiques and restaurants in the area, as well as the botanical gardens. There is a courtesy bus onto the sea front, which includes the large sea water lido complex, and a small beach. A walk along the traffic free sea front will bring you to the old town, fishing harbour, central square and hundreds of local bars the restaurants in the narrow surrounding streets. A walk through the old town will bring you to a large 3 bay beach, ideal for sunbathing. Further along is the world’s best conservation zoo, Loro Parque, owned by the same family as the Botanical Hotel.

There are no boat trips out of Puerto. Your hotel can arrange a night trip to Mt. Teide, which you can also reach the top of during the day.

Newtown, United...
Level Contributor
519 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days only

As rickybear says there are no cruises from puerto. also I've not seen turtles there.

Suggestions

Day 1 walk into town and carry on walking to a village called Punta Brava. This will enable you to get a good feel of the town. This will take you past the beach playa jardin. Taxi back would be a good idea and cheap.

Day 2 mount teidi. If you can take a tour that goes late afternoon and night. This gives you the best of both worlds. The stars are amazing. In the morning go to a beach in the middle of town called playa san telmo. Doesn't look much but the snorkelling is brilliant. Last time we counted over 30 different fish. Snorkel can be bought locally for 7e.

Day 3. Playa jardin or lago martinez for swimming and sun bathing.

Chester
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days only

Hi

we often stay at the Botanico hotel and it is about a 15-20 min walk to the town but there are lots of bars and restaurants in La Paz.

Nothing wrong with your mock itinerary but as you have paid a lot of money for the hotel I would suggest some time in the Oriental spa which is all free apart from treatments. The thermal circuit and indoor pool are great and in the mornings from 9-12 they have free classes like yoga and tai chi which are taken by professional teachers. The tennis and 18 hole putting green are also free.

Bollullo beach is our favourite and you get to it by walking through the banana plantations.

La Orotava is only 4km away and is worth it if you like churches, gardens and historical buildings ( you can see it on skyline live web cam, it does a 360 deg from the town hall).

The Botanical gardens are just across from the hotel.

The last shuttle but down town is at 18:40 and the drop off point is where the Loro Park road train picks up. Taxi's back are 4-5€ depending where you are in town.

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days only

Hi

Got to agree with 3ark , you are staying in the most expensive hotel in Puerto de la Cruz yet intend to spend as much time as possible away from it . If you are not going to use the amenities of the hotel you may as well book into a good class 4 * hotel .

Sorry if sound tight and mean .

5. Re: 3 days only

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 August 2018, 15:05

Stratford...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days only

Not mean at all! Thanks for the input. It sounds like the hotel we booked is meant as a "stay on the resort" type of place... which we did not know when we booked! I am hoping our hotel can arrange some sort of excursions as I would really like to explore the island a bit. We picked Puerto de la Cruz since it didn't look super touristy as some other places in Tenerife. We are going Aug 22 and I don't think we can cancel the reservation now.

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days only

Hi

We have been visiting Puerto for the last 20 years and still find the resort interesting . To me , 3 days is not enough to do everything worth doing . Terasitas beach is nice but IMO , not really worth making a special journey to see if you only have 3 days . Mount Teide , yes definitely . Also as suggested , a walk along to Punta Brava .and a day on the beach . Also Bollulo beach is interesting , and I am sure I saw some nudists there . You could spend a day using the facilities of the hotel .

One last suggestion .book a tour of the island , see what it has to offer , and then come back for a longer stay . This is what we did .

Chester
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days only

within easy walking distance of the hotel are the Botanical Gardens ( 2 mins) and the Orchid Gardens ( 5-10 mins). The 2 churches just of Plaza del Charco are both worth the visit. Do try and find Julian's restaurant for an evening meal and ask if his daughter will sing that evening, she has a beautiful voice.

La Marina, Spain
Level Contributor
849 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days only

lvarvella - The Botanico offers incredible service for their guests and will gladly arrange some excursions for you, however, you would be best to book in advance due to your short stay! You have picked one of the best hotels in Tenerife, nothing is too much trouble for them when it comes to guests.

Would suggest some of these things to see which are doable in a few days.

1; Sunset Tour Teide By Night (From 80€ with hotel pick-up) Always subject to cable car weather conditions on the day. https:/…night_tour_teide_stargazing

2: Santa Cruz City (DIY walk)

Hop on the Express Bus (103) outside your hotel to Santa Cruz and explore the city, old town and harbour front on foot (5 hours will do it).

3: Puerto de La Cruz

Take a taxi into town and explore on foot (couple of hours) then visit Playa Jardin beach and chill-out for a few hours.

4: Book a cheap hire car to pick-up at the airport with Autoreisen and just take off on your own, you will see so much more (parking is easy near the Botanico hotel).

5: Do the entire one day tour from about 36€ will pick-up and drop-off from your hotel only Fridays, so only on the 24th for your short break. See here https:/…island-tour

There are not really any doable boat trips as these ALL depart from the south, most not available. Those that do a pick-up from the north would require a very silly o´clock departure! Don´t bother with Terasitas, as pretty as the (fake) beach is it is rammed in August as it is the local beach for residents of the city.

Hope that helps. Enjoy

Reply to: 3 days only
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto de la Cruz
Recent Conversations