We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Canaria or La Palma? (in addition to Tenerif& Lanzerote

Tel Aviv, Israel
10 posts
Gran Canaria or La Palma? (in addition to Tenerif& Lanzerote

my husband and me want to visit the Canaries Islands at the Carnva period 2019.

we can be there for 3 weeks .

i am sure we want to be in Tenerif ( to take a one day or 2 days tour to La Gumera - or more?)

and i want to be in Lanzerote.

which one more island do you think its good to add: Gran Canaria or La Palma?

how many days to be in every island?

thank you

11 replies to this topic
Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
9,204 posts
87 reviews
1. Re: Gran Canaria or La Palma? (in addition to Tenerif& Lanzerote

You haven’t said what you enjoy doing or seeing. Until you tell us this, we cannot advise which is more appropriate for you.

Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
4,095 posts
56 reviews
2. Re: Gran Canaria or La Palma? (in addition to Tenerif& Lanzerote

If you intend coming for Carnival in February then Las Palmas, Gran Canaria has the most famous in the Canaries and is famous throughout Spain.

The Canaries are noted for 1) vulcanism and landscapes produced by vulcanism 2) mild weather in mid-winter (not as predictable these days) 3) Spain's highest mountain on Tenerife , the summit of which can be reached by cable car and a short walk.

The most interesting island for vulcanism is Lanzarote which has a volcanic National Park with spectacular effects. The vineyards are unique being planted in black cinders. Lanzarote had an artist/architect in the late Cesar Manrique who designed unique buildings in the unique landscape and are still visited.

Las Palmas , Gran Canaria is an excellent base as it has a great beach, great non-touristy restaurants, great shopping, ferry connection to Tenerife, and the bus hub which is excellent for getting around without a car though car hire is quite cheap.

Valverde El Hierro
Level Contributor
252 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Gran Canaria or La Palma? (in addition to Tenerif& Lanzerote

All the Canary Islands are individuals and all are well worth a visit. My first visit was in 1962, I have visited all the islands at least once. I have found that 10 days per island isn't enough, even though I live in the Canary Islands, I still have not yet seen and done everything.

Tel Aviv, Israel
10 posts
4. Re: Gran Canaria or La Palma? (in addition to Tenerif& Lanzerote

we like very much the nature. the volcanic areas. we like very much the sea.

we like to enjoy the culture, the people.

because of this we come at the carnaval period.

Tel Aviv, Israel
10 posts
5. Re: Gran Canaria or La Palma? (in addition to Tenerif& Lanzerote

thank you very much for the response.

how many days you recomande us to be in every island: Tenerif, Lanzerote, Gran Canaria.

what about La Gomera; is it enought to take a tour from Tenerif for one day or it is better to go there with the car from Tenerif and stay there one night or more.

thank you

Tel Aviv, Israel
10 posts
6. Re: Gran Canaria or La Palma? (in addition to Tenerif& Lanzerote

thank you for your answer.

as we cant to be in every island 10 days how much time do you think is it o.k. to be ?

Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
4,095 posts
56 reviews
7. Re: Gran Canaria or La Palma? (in addition to Tenerif& Lanzerote

I'd go:-

7 - 10 days on Gran Canaria including Carnival, 5 days Lanzarote incl. 1 day on Fuerteventura, 6 days Tenerife including 1 day La Gomera.

Gran Canaria - Las Palmas plus Puerto de Mogan (for boat trips)

Lanzarote - Playa Blanca (near to volcanic national park)

Tenerife - Costa Adeje area (near to Mt. Teide and Los Cristianos , port for La Gomera)

All these have good beaches , the Tenerife ones are only average.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 15:08
Tel Aviv, Israel
10 posts
8. Re: Gran Canaria or La Palma? (in addition to Tenerif& Lanzerote

thank you for your detailed answer.

i want to ask you please , according to your plan , at which dates you offer us to be in every island - as you offer us to be at the carnaval also at Gran Canaria

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
180 reviews
9. Re: Gran Canaria or La Palma? (in addition to Tenerif& Lanzerote

I would say a day visit to La Gomera is not a good idea. The island is small but, because of the terrain, it takes hours to get from A to B. I’m not sure how much you could see, and whether you would see the most spectacular scenery, on a day trip.

We spent a week in Valle Gran Rey followed by a week in Playa Santiago. We much preferred the scenery in and around VGR although the journey from PS to San Sebastian is truly dramatic.

Valverde El Hierro
Level Contributor
252 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: Gran Canaria or La Palma? (in addition to Tenerif& Lanzerote

Nobody mentions the unspoilt scenic, El Hierro, it is a well kept secret, so shhhhhh don't tell anyone.

Reply to: Gran Canaria or La Palma? (in addition to Tenerif& Lanzerote
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gran Canaria