We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sa Calobra - From an American point of view - NOT Worth it

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Sa Calobra - From an American point of view - NOT Worth it

My husband and I are both Americans, early 30's and are well traveled. We have heard from our German friends to visit Mallorca as it is beautiful. Staying in a 5 star hotel, we just arrived back from a drive to this infamous beach Sa Calobra and sorry to say, it was awful. Granted, this is from Americans that have been to all Florida, California beaches, St. Johns, Bahamas, Bermuda, Hawaii, etc. etc. This beach is nothing compared to any of the above. It DOES NOT look anything like the photos as there is zero sand. You are walking on river stones. Not gravel, but actual rocks and stones. It is Painful to walk. It is possible we were there at lowtide, because the water was so far away only you had to wade through a stream to reach the actual water. If you visit, take a boat and sail in. Don't take a car. The drive is incredibly long through a multitude of mountains which have gorgeous views, yet very dangerous. We are glad we got to say we saw it, but never again. For those that are expecting something out a movie, don't go. Many people on the way there, of course no other Americans we could see or hear. Even the water was not very blue or clear. I think many people are being kind in saying it is an oooh ahhh type of scenic destination. Rocks. All I can say. No ground, soft sand. Just Rocks.Never actually tried to suntan on a towel over rocks so that was a first. Ouch. Simply wanted to let other travelers know what to expect as we wish we read more about this destination. ROCKS.

Edited: 13 June 2010, 23:02
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,639 posts
84 reviews
1. Re: Sa Calobra - From an American point of view - NOT Worth it

I am sorry you did not enjoy what for a lot of visitors is a spectacular drive through beautiful scenery to a beautiful part f the coastline.

I am a bit puzzled as to the part where you say you had to wade through a stream to reach the actual water. What was in the stream?

WREXHAM
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
63 reviews
2. Re: Sa Calobra - From an American point of view - NOT Worth it

We visited this "beach" last Sunday and I know precisely what is meant by a stream. The stones on the beach seem to have piled up into a sort of mound so it you want to actually paddle or enter the water, as at the edge of where the tide comes in, you have to climb up a very small slope and then down again to go through a wide strip of water, climb out of this and walk a little further, then you can paddle in the sea. This strip of water seemed quite deep and people were up to their waists, going through it. Nevertheless, to me, the area is very beautiful. My only warning is, never ever go in September. We went one year and the place was full of wasps, aggressive ones and it was impossible to eat a picnic, the wasps just attacked on masse. There was even a cat trying to eat a sort of lizard that it had caught but the wasps attacked the cat, trying to get at his prey.

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
1 review
3. Re: Sa Calobra - From an American point of view - NOT Worth it

Sa Calobra/Torrent de Parreis beaches I agree are not beaches for sunbathing.

It's best to visit by boat from Port de Soller to enjoy the scenery along the way.

It's also better to visit in quieter times than summer and I think you are talking about the beach at Torrent de Parreis. In the summer it's horrendous with hundreds of bodies all trying to cram onto the tiny stony beach. Far better to walk in the opposite direction to enjoy the scenery. I think the stream you are talking about is the torrent which brings water down from the mountains in wet weather - there is no tide to speak of.

I much prefer to visit when there are few tourists around.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Sa Calobra - From an American point of view - NOT Worth it

Hello. The scenery was indeed fantastic and we stopped at almost every sightseeing point for photo ops. Entirely gorgeous and we were amazed at the lifestyle people can lead to live in these altitudes. Pinkygirl8 is correct in the "stream" description. Kind of like what was left after the tide comes in was a mound of rocks you walk into, then it dips into a deep "moat" that you have to wade through almost neck deep. Then you must climp the rock hill to reach a summit where you can actually lay your towel. About 20 more meters was the water. Several large yachts, ships were coming in which looked to be a better way to see the destination. After reading about the wasps and lizard eating cat I am very thankful not to have visited in September!

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
97 reviews
5. Re: Sa Calobra - From an American point of view - NOT Worth it

Lolol :-)

What was worse is that having walked for ages and then had to almost crawl through a cut out tunnel in a mountain, there wasn't even a McDonalds or Burger King on the other side!

WREXHAM
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
63 reviews
6. Re: Sa Calobra - From an American point of view - NOT Worth it

The TUNNEL !!!!! Goodness me, although on the floor,there appeared to be inset strips of lighting. On tha day of our visit, Sunday 6th June, these were not lit up and in places you were in total darkness and indeed you were bumping into people who as we were going to the "beach" they were coming back. Fortunately, now and then, someone had a cigarette lighter and kindly provided a tiny amount of light. All good fun, but scary at times.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
11,872 posts
54 reviews
7. Re: Sa Calobra - From an American point of view - NOT Worth it

Talking about "scary" - last time we went to Sa Calobra we were driving back up the very steep and twisty hill from the bottom when we were confronted by two people on skateboards who were racing down Sa Calobra hill at the speed of formula 1 drivers (and cutting the corners as well)

8. Re: Sa Calobra - From an American point of view - NOT Worth it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2010, 11:47