We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car in mountains

London, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
19 reviews
27 helpful votes
Car in mountains
Save

Hi everyone,

I’m heading to Majorca in a couple of weeks for the first time. I plan to get a car as staying in the SE in first week and near Soller during the second week so plan to explore the whole island.

I wondered if a small car like a FIAT 500 will be enough engine on the mountain roads? I’m not sure if they are very steep? I hired a fancy convertible car to going into the hills in Italy once and it was simply far too wide for their roads. Massively regretted not getting a little car so wondering if it’s the same in Majorca?

Second part of my question is the car hire. I plan to get this when I land at the airport. I read another post saying Hertz is a good one? Can anyone recommend one they have used recently?

Many thanks

5 replies to this topic
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
16,044 posts
25 reviews
42 helpful votes
1. Re: Car in mountains
Save

Most cars these days have sufficient power to manage the steep roads in Mallorca..

A physically smaller car would be a good idea as some of the roads are fairly narrow .

A few years ago I hired an older model Ford Fiesta with a small engine and found it fine for the terrain.

I might have had to use the gears a bit more than with a larger more powerful engine .

The Fiat 500 has a 1200cc engine and that should be sufficient '

I found driving all round Mallorca to be a pleasure.

I also really enjoyed the flatter farming areas at the east of the island to be very nice to explore .

Graham

Shrewsbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canary Islands, Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
15,658 posts
969 reviews
399 helpful votes
2. Re: Car in mountains
Save

I agree a smaller car would be my preference, easier to navigate the winding roads and easier to park too.

Most modern cars have no problems with steep hills.

Magaluf, Spain
Destination Expert
for Majorca
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
56 reviews
22 helpful votes
3. Re: Car in mountains
Save

Some great routes to explore around the island especially the MA-10 which is the wildest but by far I think the most scenic.

Rental cars have been far from reasonable this year due to cutting fleet size due to pandemic. Hertz is the leader and can also be the dearest but there are other options to try that regulars recommend such as Hiper and Vanrell so worth getting quotes but always deal direct with rental companies and not online agents.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
73 reviews
148 helpful votes
4. Re: Car in mountains
Save

I would echo the previous posts, although even a slightly larger car in not too much of a problem, I think it is more of a psychological thing rather than the physical size of the car.

I think most of the fiat 500's for rent would be the smaller 900cc engine but I wouldn't expect you to have any problems

London, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
19 reviews
27 helpful votes
5. Re: Car in mountains
Save

Thank you all. I will check out prices for Hiper and Vanrell as well as the larger places at the airport - as we will need a car direct from airport as we are heading first to the south east region.

Reply to: Car in mountains
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.