We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mask wearing Mallorca

3 posts
Mask wearing Mallorca
Save

Hello

Please can anyone shed some light on the current situation with regards to mask wearing in Mallorca? I suffer from panic attacks whenever I wear them and our little boy who just turned 6 this week can’t cope with them at all and is exempt in the Uk. We have read that they need to be worn at all times whilst outside is that even when walking in the streets and on the beach?

We are due to fly there this weekend and I won’t be able to cope if this is the case please can anyone kindly let me know what it’s like over there?

Many thanks

12 replies to this topic
Poole, United...
Level Contributor
9,667 posts
18 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: Mask wearing Mallorca
Save

That’s old news, you only need to wear masks when inside public building, shops, inside hotel public rooms, on a bus etc. No need to wear them anywhere outside. Children over 6 do need to wear them inside though, as well.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,417 posts
232 reviews
372 helpful votes
2. Re: Mask wearing Mallorca
Save

How do you manage at the airports departure and landing and the flight? Probably longer wearing them then than at any stage on the holiday.

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
6,535 posts
137 reviews
51 helpful votes
3. Re: Mask wearing Mallorca
Save

I'm afraid that #1 is not quite correct. There is still a requirement to wear masks when you cannot keep a safe distance (about 1,5 metres).

This is the official information for Majorca;

https://www.caib.es/sites/covid-19/es/medidas_especiales/

The bit at the bottom left translates as; 'Mask wearing is still obligatory when it is not possible to maintain the safe distance. In all cases, it is recommended to use it always.'

It isn't advice, it isn't guidance, it's the law.

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
58 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: Mask wearing Mallorca
Save

David is correct and unlike in the UK it is policed and local residents will also challenge people not wearing masks.

It has been this way for in excess of a year now in Spain. Children 6 years and over have to wear masks and Spanish authorities do not seem to accept UK exclusions such as doctors letters etc.

Masks are to be work in all locations unless you can constantly be 1.5 metres away from others.

You have to wear masks when entering a bar or a restaurant until your food or drink arrives then you can keep it off. If you need the toilet you have to put your mask back on.

Mask wearing is taken seriously in Spain very unlike the UK.

Edited: 22 August 2021, 02:34
Essex
Level Contributor
2,607 posts
280 reviews
182 helpful votes
5. Re: Mask wearing Mallorca
Save

We have been home two weeks, at the airport both ends and on the flight mask wearing was expected. When entering the terrace on a restaurant or using the inside bathrooms and in supermarkets you were expected to wear masks. We saw a few older residents walking with masks on but we were fortunate that we were never in a crowded area outside where we could not socially distance. We found the rules for wearing masks was adhered to far more in Mallorca than it is in the UK.

Donna

Magaluf, Spain
Destination Expert
for Majorca
Level Contributor
3,512 posts
56 reviews
22 helpful votes
6. Re: Mask wearing Mallorca
Save

LucyL. Welcome to the forum. We all understand and sympathise but all this is to help and protect yourself and others so have to try and observe as much as possible. Again this is nothing new and surprised asking at such a late stage pre departure but again your holiday could have been postponed several times in last couple of years prior to pandemic and before this mask carry on if you want to describe it that way. All I would say is try and observe as much as possible wearing of masks rather drawing attention as you may not find it a smooth ride like UK. On one flight my 11yo g/son was informed mask was not necessary because of age but that was one out of four flights. Don’t expect everyone to speak English so there will be times instead of a long conversation advising / informing about masks just slip the mask up and move on. No problem out and about , beached , pools but yes in buildings and transport. Main thing is have a good holiday and sure you will have.

Son Bou, Spain
Destination Expert
for Menorca
Level Contributor
7,069 posts
112 reviews
65 helpful votes
7. Re: Mask wearing Mallorca
Save

We are on Menorca. Today, as normal, the markets were packed with people. In the inside areas of shops and markets masks are compulsory. Saw a couple of silly people refused service at the market cervecería because they refused to wear masks. Lady behind the bar sent them away with flea in ear.

Sussex
Level Contributor
6,428 posts
101 reviews
86 helpful votes
8. Re: Mask wearing Mallorca
Save

Benisteve makes a good point about departure, in-flight and arrival - you might be wearing a mask for hours. A panic attack is a truly awful thing if that's what you really meant (no offence but some people use the phrase to mean very panicked) - chest pain, limbs freezing up, even passing out. I can't help thinking it may not be worth putting yourself through it.

Maybe practice wearing one at home for an hour at a time - increasing gradually to see how you do.

I hope it all works out for you whatever your decision.

3 posts
9. Re: Mask wearing Mallorca
Save

Just wanted to thank you for your extremely compassionate reply. Yes I did mean panic attacks. I had a breakdown last year and have been left with an anxiety disorder it’s not about feeling panicked at all as you rightly say these are completely different things. So few people understand this so thank you!

3 posts
10. Re: Mask wearing Mallorca
Save

Thank you for all your responses they have been so helpful. I will try my best to wear one whenever I can. Really appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

Reply to: Mask wearing Mallorca
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.