We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family travel

California
Level Contributor
156 posts
13 reviews
Family travel

My son is studying abroad this summer in Oviedo. We will be meeting up with him once he finishes, flying into Madrid, and then taking the train to Oviedo. There will be four of us, my husband and myself with our 2 grown children. Is it ideal to have a car? We'll be in Oviedo for 3 full days, and would like to explore not only Oviedo, but the nearby surrounding area. Is it relatively easy to navigate around town? How are the road signs, and the roads themselves? Or, should we rely on tours etc? Thanks in advance.

5 replies to this topic
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
71,964 posts
3,813 reviews
1. Re: Family travel

US, Canadians and citizens of countries outside the European Union need an international driving permit to drive in Spain. One can get this permit at AAA. The roads are very good and easy to drive. Rent a car with a GPS to make driving easy.

For Oviedo

Use Booking.com to look for hotels. Choose City Center for district.

Main sights:

1. Cathedral of San Salvador - The huge retable in the main chapel is very impressive. The cloisters are interesting. Its Holy Chamber has important relics of the Asturian monarchy.

2. Museo de Bellas Artes - Very large fine arts museum with many impressive paintings.

3. Hotel de la Reconquista - A historic hotel that is quite beautiful and impressive.

4. Campo de San Francisco Park - A large park located beside downtown. Good to walk in it.

5. Sculptures - There are more than a hundred statues scattered around downtown, including one of Woody Allen.

6. Santa Maria del Naranco and San Miguel de Lillo are two Pre-Romanesque churches located 3 km out of town on the slope of Mount Naranco.

For shopping: Go to Calle Uria , which has an El Corte Ingles Department Store. Adjacent streets also have good shops.

Good restaurants:

1. Casa Fermin (Calle de San Francisco, 8; Tel: 985-216-452) - An elegant restaurant that is very popular and one needs reservations here. Food is very good.

2. Restaurante La Galatea (Hotel Barcelo Oviedo Cervantes - Calle de Cervantes, 13; Tel: 985-255-000) - A very beautiful modern restaurant with an exceptional menu of the day.

California
Level Contributor
156 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Family travel

Thank you so much! Do you know which rental companies have the largest facilities in town? I have one booked with Dollar to pick up C Ventura Rodriquez.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
113 reviews
3. Re: Family travel

If you want to explore the areas around Oviedo (I imagine your son will be more interested in this if he's already spent time in the centre), then I'd rent a car. If you're just intending to stay in the city, I wouldn't bother. My choice would be the former, especially if you're there for three days - you can drive over to the Covadonga lakes and the Picos de Europa and back in a day, as well as exploring the coast, east or west, and the inland valleys too if that tickles your fancy. There are several car rental places at the train station with all the usual names. Oviedo isn't a massive city, so easy to drive around, well signposted, and easy underground car parks too. If you do rent a car, check your hotel's car park policy, they can be quite expensive - it may even be better to stay somewhere slightly out of Oviedo which has free parking - you decide.

California
Level Contributor
156 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Family travel

Thank you so much!! I've booked Castillo la Zoreda, however perhaps I should look for a hotel in the city center, especially have a 19 and 21 year old with us.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
113 reviews
5. Re: Family travel

Wow, looks like an amazing hotel! No problem if you're happy to drive into Oviedo, it'll certainly have parking, I'm sure! And there are plenty of central underground car parks in Oviedo if you want to go out or eat there, a short drive away. Maybe ask your kids and see what they'd prefer, but I think you're fine where you are if someone's prepared to drive. You will definitely need a car from that hotel though.

Reply to: Family travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oviedo
Recent Conversations