We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oviedo or country side for 3 days

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
13,443 posts
51 reviews
Oviedo or country side for 3 days

Currently looking at staying somewhere between Oviedo and Cangas de Onis for three nights in July. Plan is to do a trip to Oviedo and one day to Covadonga lakes. But I wonder if Oviedo is one of those cities better appreciated at night.

I’ll welcome any otter options including skipping Oviedo altogether.

After that we’ll move to the Santander area for one night, before settling in Getaria for 6 nights.

5 replies to this topic
Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
113 reviews
1. Re: Oviedo or country side for 3 days

Assuming you'll have a car?

A day trip to Oviedo is fine, go during the day so you can get into the cathedral etc. Be aware that there is limited car access to the Covadonga lakes in July & August - there are car parks and buses to control access, the "plan" for 2018 isn't out yet I don't think, but the 2017 one is here, it'll be similar: parquenacionalpicoseuropa.es/wp-content/uplo… (that's in English). It's well organised and easy to do - works very well.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
71,851 posts
3,813 reviews
2. Re: Oviedo or country side for 3 days

For Oviedo

Use Booking.com to look for hotels. Choose City Center for district.

Main sights:

1. Cathedral of San Salvador - The huge retable in the main chapel is very impressive. The cloisters are interesting. Its Holy Chamber has important relics of the Asturian monarchy.

2. Museo de Bellas Artes - Very large fine arts museum with many impressive paintings.

3. Hotel de la Reconquista - A historic hotel that is quite beautiful and impressive.

4. Campo de San Francisco Park - A large park located beside downtown. Good to walk in it.

5. Sculptures - There are more than a hundred statues scattered around downtown, including one of Woody Allen.

6. Santa Maria del Naranco and San Miguel de Lillo are two Pre-Romanesque churches located 3 km out of town on the slope of Mount Naranco.

For shopping: Go to Calle Uria , which has an El Corte Ingles Department Store. Adjacent streets also have good shops.

Good restaurants:

1. Casa Fermin (Calle de San Francisco, 8; Tel: 985-216-452) - An elegant restaurant that is very popular and one needs reservations here. Food is very good.

2. Restaurante La Galatea (Hotel Barcelo Oviedo Cervantes - Calle de Cervantes, 13; Tel: 985-255-000) - A very beautiful modern restaurant with an exceptional menu of the day.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
13,443 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Oviedo or country side for 3 days

Thank you.

Does anyone know of a food focused rural or agriturismo type place with comfortable accommodations in that area? A lot of options out there but nothing stands out.

Judging by the lack of posts in Asturias compared to everywhere else this seems like a not so discovered area?

Yes we’ll have a car. We’ll be coming from Salamanca

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
113 reviews
4. Re: Oviedo or country side for 3 days

The north coast is definitely more undiscovered, yes, although it's becoming more and more popular! It's mainly as there is no guaranteed sun here I think, but its green beauty as a result is unbeatable. Having a car is such an advantage, as you can get to the really interesting off the beaten track places.

I don't know if you've seen these links:

https://www.ecotur.es/agroturismo-ecoturismo…

- the Sierra del Sueve has several places there, that is the stretch of mountain between the Cangas-Arenas road and the coast - most places on the south side should have great views of the Picos too (if they're higher villages). Villaviciosa is also sort of between Oviedo and Cangas, but more on the coast.

https://www.turismoasturias.es/organiza-tu-viaje/folletos/resultados-de-busqueda/-/publicador/folletos-ecoturismo/BjyiysP4JBf3;jsessionid=853C6334B8F9EB5DC550F7766CF90285#

- leaflet on eco tourism by the tourist board.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
405 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Oviedo or country side for 3 days

Ribasedella would be a great base for seaside and mountains; see what you can find in that area.

OR:

We spent 3 nights at PuebloAstur. There is a rental house just behind the hotel in the miniscule hamlet of Cofino, which would be an excellent base for the mountains. I am sorry I do not recall the name, but anywhere in that area would be a superb base for Picos and seaside.

Reply to: Oviedo or country side for 3 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oviedo
Recent Conversations