We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week Zaragoza and Euskadi (pls review my itinerary)

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
67 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
1 week Zaragoza and Euskadi (pls review my itinerary)

Hi all, I have planned to spend one week in Spain (22-29 apr.) and would like some suggestions about my itinerary. This is what I have at the moment:

22/4 arrival at Zaragoza airport at 5.50pm and rent a car

23/4 Zaragoza

24/4 Olite, Pamplona

25/4 San Sebastian

26/4 Loyola, Guernica, Bermeo, San Juan de Gaztelugatxe, Bilbao

27/4 Bilbao

28/4 Vitoria, Salinas de Añana, Logroño

29/4 Calatayud?, Zaragoza. Flight at 6.15pm.

This is how much time (aprox.) I think to spend in each city:

Zaragoza: 1 full day + half at end

Olite: 2h

Pamplona: 1 afternoon

San Sebastian: 1 day

Loyola, Guernica, Bermeo, San Juan de Gaztelugatxe: 45mins/1h each

Bilbao: 1,5 day

Vitoria: 3 or 4h

Salinas de Añana: 1h

Logroño: half afternoon

Any suggestions? Anything I have missed?

Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week Zaragoza and Euskadi (pls review my itinerary)

Maybe too many places to visit in only one week. Anyway probably to reduce the number of km, instead of going all the way to Calatayud, go to Tarazona. Tarazona is very nice little town with a Mudejar Cathedral and old city on a hill, very nice. Near Tarazona you have Veruela Monastery and Moncayo (the tallest mountain in the area and easily recognizable).

Probably the nicest city of all of them is San Sebastian, at least from the touristic point of view.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
52,664 posts
3,395 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week Zaragoza and Euskadi (pls review my itinerary)

Istvan:

I think you are trying to see too many places. Most of the time will be spent in the car.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
67 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week Zaragoza and Euskadi (pls review my itinerary)

Thanks for your replies!

Yes, I will spend some time driving, but I think distances are not so big considering the stop in different cities. The 26/4 is a quite a full day in car but I have read Euskadi coast is worthing.

Any suggestion to optimize it (besides Tarazona instead of Calatayud)?

Is there something I can remove as it doesn't worth a visit?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,499 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week Zaragoza and Euskadi (pls review my itinerary)

Istvan,

3 or 4 hours in Vitoria-Gasteiz? And 1 day in San Sebastian? This is too much, too fast. You are wasting your time and gas, sorry to say.

I haven't been to all these places so I will only write about what I DO know. If you like to eat or spend time by the ocean, San Sebastian is like heaven on earth BUT parking there is like hell. That could be true for many other places too.

Please reconsider and cut down on your shopping list.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
67 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week Zaragoza and Euskadi (pls review my itinerary)

Thanks Gigis_mum, so you suggest to spend another night in S.Sebastian instead of the one in Pamplona? And skip Vitoria?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,499 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week Zaragoza and Euskadi (pls review my itinerary)

Thanks for saying thanks, Istvan. I'm not suggesting particularly that you skip Vitoria-Gasteiz. It looks like a very interesting place with great food. I'm going to Asador Sagartoki this summer. There's a great video of their competition-winning pintxos on their website. You're in Milan so you probably don't need to see any more old churches but the Catedral de Santa Maria is being restored and you can go on a restoration guided tour. Just a few highlights of this town that interest me, but might not interest you.

http://www.sagartoki.com/

I'm just saying that I hope you go to fewer cities and thus, enjoy each of them more deeply. You live so close by (compared to me) so there will always be other chances to visit again. No need to rush!

Go to the TA page of each of the cities you listed, look at the pictures taken by previous visitors, read up on the highlights of each place and decide which city to skip.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week Zaragoza and Euskadi (pls review my itinerary)

With only 7 days, you need to look at want you really want to see and do, unless all you're looking at doing is a road trip with a few brief stops along the way. If you're interested in visiting the Rioja, then I would forget about Bermeo, you can stop to look at San Juan de Gaztelugatxe as you drive by on the way to Bilbao via the coastal route to Gernika.

Stick with spending the first night in Zaragoza, then it’s on to Pamplona (1 night), San Sebastian-Donostia (2 nights), Bilbao area (1 night), the Rioja area (2 nights) before heading back to Zaragoza to catch your flight.

Finding a place to park in Vitoria-Gastiz could take the better part of an hour in itself.

karachi
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 week Zaragoza and Euskadi (pls review my itinerary)

Your allocated tenure of a day and a half for Zaragoza does not really amount to much. The capital of the endlessly fascinating region of Aragon has much to offer and could keep one happily and busily occupied for days at a stretch. However, employing a brisk pace, you would be able to cover the two cathedrals- El Pilar and La Seo, along with a visit to the splendid Palacio de Aljaferia. Before I forget, the La Seo Cathedral houses an often overlooked Tapestry museum, amongst its other treasures. Although the inventory is not in the category of the ones you’d find in Madrid’s Palacio Real ,the monastery/palace at San Lorenzo de El Escorial or the Catedral de San Salvador de Zamora, it still merits a visit. I’d also highly recommend making it to the Iglesia de Sagrado Corazon for that magnificent exposition of stained glass lanterns- Rosario de Cristal. Let me assure you of a never-to-be-forgotten visual feast over here! No sense bringing up the Caesaraugusta route(encompassing five museums) as you do not have the required time on hand to undertake it. You could however give the stunning mudejar bell tower of Iglesia de Santa Maria Magdalena a look. A great restaurant (never mind if it is a bit away from the center-hail a cab!) for a nice, traditional dinner would be El Verrugon. Thanks to BennyMalaga’s pointer, I had a terrific meal, (a very reasonably priced one too!), at this venue during my September 2011 visit to the city.

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
142 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 week Zaragoza and Euskadi (pls review my itinerary)

Salve Istvan!

I agree with most of the people here saying that it is a very tight travel. All cities & towns you are marking have nice places to see but really you should consider that you will have little time to see all the places.

I believe that actually what it is out of the travel is actually starting and ending in Zaragoza, which is a bit far from the places you want mainly to see (The Basque Country, Navarre & Rioja).

I suppose it is already decided, but for the cities and region that you want to visit I would strongly recommend you having your flight to Bilbao airport or Santander airport (Ryanair flies to this latest from Bergamo airport).

On regard Vitoria, I would not skype it at all for the 28th April. It is my city, and believe me that it is really surprising place with lots of green areas (it has been awarded with the European Green Capital in 2012), and it has a wonderfully preserved medieval city center.

But more important than that! The date you are planning to be in Vitoria is perfect. There is only one problem on this, I would sleep in Vitoria on the night from 27th to 28th and not in Bilbao as you are planning.

I will explain you why. On the night of 27th April to 28th April there is a huge festival in the city with people marching with drums around the city center and trumpets and music in every corner of the city. People of all ages will be in the streets during many hours. It will be a perfect evening and night for enjoying a traditional fiesta surrounded by locals as it is not a very touristic city. And after that, on the following 28th there is a huge promenade to Armentia on which people of all ages participate, many of them dressed with the traditional Basque dressing (also myself). You will have as well the opportunity to see Basque Traditional Sports which are based on the country people's work and are hard to see in other times of the year.

The only problem I see is that you will be sorry to leave Vitoria!

You can have a look to my blog, where I will be posting details of the festival.

Looking forward to learn about your ideas. Do not hesitate to ask again about any other doubts.

Aitor Delgado

www.aitordelgado.com

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,499 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 week Zaragoza and Euskadi (pls review my itinerary)

Kaixo Aitor!

It sounds like you are inviting us all to a special party in your town! We will be there! :-)