We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaga airport to Granada query

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
115 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Malaga airport to Granada query

Hi,

we are planning a short break to Granada and will have to fly to Malaga airport from the UK.

We should arrive at in Malaga at 7.30pm. Does anyone know how easy it is to get to Malaga bus station from the airport and and how long it takes?

We have been told that the last bus to Granada is at 9.30pm and we don't want to miss it!

Thank you in advance.

Aysha

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,699 posts
3,654 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaga airport to Granada query

Aysha:

There is an airport express Line A bus that goes from the airport to Malaga. You need to get off at the Maria Zambrano Station (Vialia). At the back is the bus station.

You can take a taxi to save time and it will cost about 20 euros.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,522 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaga airport to Granada query

You can look up the bus times using : www.alsa.es

You can even book your seats in advance for a small admin fee just in case you are travelling at a busy time.

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
115 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaga airport to Granada query

Thank you for your quick response.

From your experience- do you think it is possible to get out of the airport & to the bus station in under 2 hours? As the flight lands at 7.40pm we dont want to miss the last bus!

We will probably take a taxi if it's quicker.

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
115 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaga airport to Granada query

Thank you Cadiz-lover.

I checked the bus times on the website but it would not let me book (think it's too early). We are looking to come on the 12th of September.

Our biggest worry was missing the last bus to granada because we can't find an earlier flight

Kind regards

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaga airport to Granada query

It's surely feasible that you will make the last bus, if you have only carry on luggage.

However, have a back up plan for accommodation, within your budget in the vicinity, in case you have to walk in.

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
115 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaga airport to Granada query

Thank you for your responses.

We want to book the granada hotel/Alhambra tickets before we go so really don't want to miss the last bus if at all possible!

Granada, Spain
Level Contributor
301 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaga airport to Granada query

If you have taking a taxi to the bus station as a backup plan you should be fine, unless the flight is really delayed, in which case there's not much you can do. Don't book the Alhambra too early, just in case you do have to stay in Malaga and catch a bus up to Granada the following day.

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
115 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaga airport to Granada query

Thank you Treksierranevada.

Can anyone just give me an estimate of the time it generally takes to get out of Malaga airport? We land at 7.40pm so is it possible to be out at 8.40?

Having read the other forums, I am bit concerned that others have been unable to book the bus to Malaga beforehand. they said you can buy tickets at the station but as we have limited time, it seems a bit risky!

Granada, Spain
Level Contributor
353 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaga airport to Granada query

HI Aysha,

I think that you should have plenty of time.

I do the trip from Malaga airport, shuttle bus to terminal and then bus to Granada quite regularly.

The new terminal in Malaga works very efficiently, from getting off the plane to leaving the airport terminal should be no more that 20 min (without luggage) about another 10-15 min if you have to pick up suitcases.

When you walk outside there is the shuttle bus that leaves every 20-30 min, €2 that drops you into the bus station in downtown Malaga, this trip takes about 20-30 min.

So by my estimation worst case scenario it will take an hour and half, it usually will take less.

Just on a side note, I always thought that the last bus to Granada was at 9:30pm as well, but I was making the journey last night from Malaga and there was a bus from Malaga to Granada at 10pm. I am not sure if this was just for Sunday nights (people like me returning from the beach) during the summer or something like that, but it surprised me.

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
115 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaga airport to Granada query

Many thanks GranadaInsider. You really have put my mind at rest. We will probably just go ahead and book the hotel & flights now.

I also read somewhere that the last bus leaves at 10pm but it doesn't show this on the Alsa website so I'm just planning as though 9.30pm is the last bus!

Thanks again everyone- your contributions are much appreciated :-)