We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train tickets

England
Level Contributor
252 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Train tickets

Is there a 'one week' or similar pass that you can buy for the train along the coast?

To avoid the queues at the ticket machine.

Better still, one that can also be used on the local buses?

If so, where would you get one?

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,586 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train tickets

Short answer NO. There is a "bono tren" ticket that can be bought from the machines, that gives you 10 journeys valid for 30 days.

England
Level Contributor
252 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train tickets

Thanks Mantalk.

Does a bono tren ticket allow journeys of any distance? Do you know how much they cost?

Main aim is to avoid having to queue every time (and miss the train, as has happened in the past).

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,586 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train tickets

The pricing is as the rest of the tickets dependent on the number of zones. Benalmadena to Malaga was 23.50 for 10 journeys when i priced it up. We didnt use it though so not sure how it works. ie: Not sure if its one ticket you use 10 times or 10 tickets issued at once that are valid for a month. The question has been asked before but no one has answered it yet.

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train tickets

M.T did not know the ticket was only valid for one month :-( thought it was like the bus card, it ran out when the money did :-) I presume if you get the Benal to Malaga Bono, you can use the ticket say to travel to Fuengirola or Torre from Benal ? x

Edited: 21 September 2012, 00:49
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,586 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train tickets

Not sure Rose, pricing is zone dependent. I cant picture the ticket, wether its valid for zones 4 & 3 or wether its valid for 1 or 2 or 3 zones. To travel Fuengi to Malaga it would show "valid 5 zones" or valid zone 4 to zone 0?

(sorry confusing myself now)

renfe.com/GA/…mapa_zonas_malaga.html

You can use the buscard to buy tickets Rose, until the balance credit runs out, but the bus card doesnt get you any discount on the trains, Bono tren does.

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train tickets

Thxs for the link M.T :-) i was supposing that if i purchased a ticket from Benal to travel '3' zones, it would automatically cover me to move '1' zone down to Fuengirola or '1' zone up to Torre, but maybe the tickets are more complexed than that :-((

Think we will just buy as we need, would hate to face the Sp Inspector with the incorrect ticket..!!

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,586 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train tickets

It seems odd that they have been available since may, but no one seems to know (or answer) how they work.

8. Re: Train tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 September 2012, 12:24
Edited: 21 September 2012, 12:24
Doncaster
Destination Expert
for Lassi
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train tickets

Hi!

We used the bonotren in July.

We wanted to go to Málaga from Torremolinos so I bought a 3 zone bonotren which gives travel in your zone plus two zones on each side.

We passed the ticket through the barrier twice at departure station, once for each person. You then have two hours before passing it through the barrier at the destination station.

We had a problem at Fuengirola as the ticket was not accepted by the machine and we were told by the very helpful staff that we had passed outside our permitted zones, yet I can't see how that happened. We paid two single fares on that occasion.

I had calculated that a 3 zone bonotren from Torremolinos should have covered any trip from Málaga to Fuengirola, so I don't know what went wrong at Fuengirola.

From Benalmádena you will need a four zone ticket to go to Málaga.

Colin

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,586 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train tickets

So, it is 1 ticket Bigcol?

Get answers to your questions about Torremolinos