We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter 2019

London, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Topic
Winter 2019

My wife and I, both mid 60's, but very adventuresome, are hoping to find a lovely, quiet Costa Del Sol town/village to spend 5 weeks. We will have a car and will be doing lots of exploring. Where would you recommend we stay to see the best of this region???

9 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter 2019

One of the White villages maybe. Frigiliana , Casares etc. I visited Alfarnate quite recently which is off the tourist trail.

England
Level Contributor
6,679 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter 2019

Benahavis, just inland from San Pedro is nice place.

Andalucia is a large area. Maybe stay in two places to minimise long drives or spend say two weeks doing a circular tour..

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter 2019

I would head for the coast. We can get very cold winds in Torremolinos coming from the Sierra de las Nieves which is just by the so far recommended places and they are a long way from Torremolinos. Cars, mountain villages and winter can sometimes not go together so I would look at Estepona if that is the part of the world you want. It will be quiet then with most of any life concentrated in a small area so will have some of the feel you are looking for. plus easy parking and stress free driving to most places.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter 2019

I've just realised that you are posting on the 'Torremolinos Forum' - I always work off the Andalucia one.

There isn't anywhere near here which fits your description unless you go inland to Coin, Alhaurin grande or de la Torre. Further you have Alora but a friend recorded minus 7 there one winter.

You will probably find it quiet and peaceful if you go to the edge of Torremolinos on the Malaga side. Don't go too far it tends to die after Playamar so perhaps the Don Hotels or the Bajondillo apartments. Parking is easy and access to the main roads quick and simple. I love walking along the paseo then as it can be very quiet but then I am contrasting it with now which is a bit of a nightmare on occasions.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,973 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter 2019

The Carihuela area of Torremolinos has a village feel in winter has all the facilities if your self catering and good parking.

Your alongside the sea with a 5km Paseo if you wish to do some strolling.

Even in winter you have a wide food option and the area has a high local population so its not deserted and because of Spain's high unemployment, worse in winter, prices locally are probably the lowest in Spain.

Transport links to motorway are excellent, Nerja and Marbella are one hour, Granada, 90 minutes, Cordoba and Seville 2 hours (train to Cordoba via Malaga is 50 minutes).

There is a local bus card cost 1.80 which reduces travel to Malaga, Fuengirola mijas etc for 1.10, from a normal 1.70, you can buy a 10 journey card for 5.80, normal single fare 1.30 on the local Torremolinos bus service.

For 6 euros you can buy a one year pass on the Renfe national train service, this gives discount on rail travel of up to 40%

If you buy a ticket to Madrid on the ave fast train from Malaga, takes 2 and a half hours, you get free rail travel from Torremolinos to Malaga and again in to central Madrid for free.

We stay in the area for a month, but often go off for a 4 or 5 night stay elsewhere ( for me Seville needs at least two nights)

England
Level Contributor
6,679 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter 2019

+1 for La Carihuela and Estepona

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter 2019

'A lovely quiet Costa del Sol town/village'.

Carihuela? really!

The post is in the Torremolinos forum and whilst I think it is pretty hard to match that description Carihuela is the last place, except possibly Benalmadena Costa, I would offer.

II you are going a bit further afield perhaps La Cala would do but you would have to use the car all the time but I think the edge of Bajondillo just about squeezes in and it is close to all transport if you want to leave the car parked for the day for free whilst you explore local towns and Malaga city

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,973 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter 2019

I think the Carihuela is a lovely contained village in winter, you have all the different retail outlets you require and the bars and restaurants are busy with the local population who can finally come out and enjoy there locality.

When we bought our first property in the 70's we spend 6 months (October to april) checking where it would be suitable to live to be sustained all year round, from estepona to Nerja.

Whilst we chose Nerja, knew on retirement Carihuela would tick all our boxes, great local transport, great international airport (madrid) fabulous food, flat terrain, 99% local Spanish inhabitants, excellent butcher, baker, DIY shops and no traffic, which for those of us with resperatary issues vital and since 1992 good motorway connections throughout Spain and a lot of our friends complain to quiet in winter.

I know from doctor, dentist etc, I don't have to move out the village boundaries all winter, accept would not repeat in summer, when too hot, too busy etc.

MY daughter lives in the north of Spain, with one bar and 35 dwellings, very quiet, but not really somewhere to base for 5 weeks, 25 minutes each way to the nearest food shop etc, I assume the OP wants to be fully sustained.

England
Level Contributor
6,679 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter 2019

Paul S?

Reply to: Winter 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Torremolinos