We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid to Marbella - 1) Flight or Train 2) Hotel?

Costa Mesa...
6 posts
1 review
Madrid to Marbella - 1) Flight or Train 2) Hotel?
Save

I am planning a weekend birthday trip to Marbella from Madrid for my girlfriend in beginning of September.

1) First, would you recommend taking a flight or train? The train looks nice but just as expensive as plane ticket.

2) I booked Hotel Claude, but I am looking at other options. We want to be close to the beach, or at a beach hotel, and close to old town to walk to good restaurants and bars. I saw Boho Club Hotel but it looks a bit away from everything. Hotel Claude looks super charming but looks a bit small and no spa/pool. Any recommendations is welcome for Hotels.

3) Any good restaurant/beach/activity recommendations please!

I really want to make this a special trip for her so any help is appreciated!

3 replies to this topic
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
21,436 posts
159 reviews
56 helpful votes
1. Re: Madrid to Marbella - 1) Flight or Train 2) Hotel?
Save

We enjoyed the train journey (Malaga to Madrid). Very smooth, good seas, a film to watch and very fast. No hassle at the train station at either end. Seemed less hectic than airports are and probably a similar journey time overall. Plus the local train journey at both ends was included in the Ave ticket. Take food with you, the vending machines on the train were not very appetising really.

Sorry, cant help with Marbella.

Estepona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Estepona
Level Contributor
6,390 posts
794 reviews
2,023 helpful votes
2. Re: Madrid to Marbella - 1) Flight or Train 2) Hotel?
Save

N.B. there is no train to Marbella, it is bus from Malaga. The bus station is just across the road from where the train arrives.

Best wishes

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
70,255 posts
59 reviews
65 helpful votes
3. Re: Madrid to Marbella - 1) Flight or Train 2) Hotel?
Save

On (1) go by train. You don't have to get to the station hours before the train leaves as you do if flying. The trip from Madrid to Malaga takes around two and half hours on the faster non stop trains. That for me compares nicely with the two hours or so possibly to be spent getting out to the airport then at airport checkin and security lines. Unless of course you are flying in the same day and are already at the airport.

Buy tickets at www.renfe.com and the earlier you buy, the cheaper it is. Trains leave from Madrid Puerto de Atocha station.

I have never been to Marbella, so cannot hep with the other questions.

Reply to: Madrid to Marbella - 1) Flight or Train 2) Hotel?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.