We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a car hire company with no CDW excess

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a car hire company with no CDW excess

Hi

Can anyone recommend a car hire company with CDW with no/zero excess? Most seem to be in the region of 800 euros +++ and I've heard horror stories about people getting done. I'd rather spend a bit more on the actual rental for complete peace of mind.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,472 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a car hire company with no CDW excess

I think just about any rental company is offer a zero excess rental if you pay the substantial extra charge to eliminate the excess. It would probably cost less to take out travel insurance that includes cover for rental car excess.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a car hire company with no CDW excess

Never encountered this anywhere. It may exist but I doubt it. Why not just stump for the Full Monty and have done with. i.e. take the full insurance package offered at the desk. It will cost more but give you that peace of mind. TBH, it's what I do. I know you can get third party insurance for it much cheaper but I hate the hassle at the desk over it.

Edited: 16 March 2015, 14:48
UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a car hire company with no CDW excess

Amuia, you have to have CDW in one form or another. You can either do as lynamc does and just take the full insurance package, or take out your own in the UK and go to a reputable car hire company where they will accept your own. Two companies that you will not have a problem with are www.malagacar.com and www.hellehollis.com . Both will accept your own insurance excess and will refund very quickly if there are no problems. Helle Hollis refund back to your cc as soon as you bring the car back. If you get a quote from them, use the code H6486 for a further 15% of the price of hire. Malagacar refund pretty quickly too and may work out slightly cheaper. The main thing is to read their T&C's properly to make sure you know what you are getting.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a car hire company with no CDW excess

I have an annual policy which I purchase online for 39.99 GBP, I do not pay the additional insurance offered at the desk. However, a sum, usually 400-650€ dependent upon the value of the car is blocked on my credit card until the vehicle is returned. I have never had any problems with this arrangement. I book through an agent and my car hire companies of choice are Avis, Europcar and Sixt (alphabetical order), for personal reasons I prefer on airport and I always book full/full. This year I have 11 weeks worth of car bookings made on this basis stretching from February to October.

Saludos. Lindsay

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a car hire company with no CDW excess

Thanks for all the advice...that's all really helpful!

Level Contributor
66 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a car hire company with no CDW excess

We usually rent from one of the majors but it seemed there were unfavorable comments made about the Malaga outlet. We looked around on here. There seemed to be lots of problems. We finally found that TopCar rentals provided full coverage which we were interested in getting. We got in touch with them by email and they were very responsive and helpful. They agreed to meet us at the airport on arrival and they did just that. We were taken directly to their car lot. Nacho explained everything in good detail. The forms were signed the car was just outside the door and away we went for two weeks. Not any problems what so ever. Nacho gave us his cell phone number to call twenty four hours a day if there was a problem. On arrival at our hotel on our last night before flying home I phoned Nacho and he came and got the car and that was it. It is the simplest best car rental we have ever done. I would highly recommend TopCar. There have been some questions about them on the forum so this is our up to date experience. Hope it helps someone. That is what we are here for.

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
376 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a car hire company with no CDW excess

Why no take out a policy in uk with carhireexcess.com it's £1.85 per day and in the event of a claim they cover the excess. Just for the record Lanzarote is the best place to hire a car most companies no excess, free car seats, free second driver and no deposits.

Mentioned in this post
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
8. Re: Looking for a car hire company with no CDW excess

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2016, 09:45