We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaga spain

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Malaga spain

I have an opportunity to go to Malaga Spain in January or Februrary.

Could I expect any sun or just rain? Are there many day trips from there or mostly the beach? Thanks

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,460 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaga spain

Weather in Jan/Feb on Costa Del Sol can be wet but there are lots of bright sunny days and chilly evenings.

Are you looking to stay in Malaga City itself (which is amazing!) or up the coast towards either Nerja or Torremolinos/Benalmadena/Fuengirola and on to Marbella? There are lots of great places and it would be good if you could let us know what sort of thing interests you. Will you be hiring a car or will you need public transport?

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,578 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaga spain

Look at the right side of this page and you will have so much information to help you. Things to see, things to do, and yes places to go. Yes you will have some rain and a couple cold days but on the whole the weather will be good. Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
5,954 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaga spain

Nobody can predict weather 12 months in advance. This year January and February have been mostly dry and sunny, but cold at night, other years we have extremely wet months. So "you pays your money and takes your chance!"

The old centre of Malaga has lots to occupy you, with good quality museums and sites. (See Top questions about Malaga, top right).

Day trips by public transport can be taken to Granada (for Alhambra Palace), Cordoba (for Mesquita), Ronda (white town, including oldest bullring in Spain), Nerja Caves, Gibraltar. Also Sevilla but this city really needs more than a day trip.

Jan/Feb probably not the time of year for a beach holiday, although some hardy travellers do take to the waters...brrrr!

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaga spain

Thanks for the good information. I can stay at a timeshare in Marabella or Espoena, Malaga- Any preferences?

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
5,954 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaga spain

This is now a completely different question, as nether Marbella nor Estepona are anywhere near to Malaga City, where all the previous post have been giving information for.

This is often a mistake made, as Malaga City and the places mentioned are in Malaga PROVINCE.

I cannot help with advice on your timeshare, I know nothing of these resorts.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,460 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaga spain

Which timeshares are you looking at? I can recommend the Macdonald's Villacana Resort up near Estepona, and Dona Lola and Leila Playa in Calahonda. Also Crown Resorts Club Calahonda and Club Marbella.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaga spain

We'va stayed at Doña Lola and it was excellent. You can stay in Costa del Sol area and do Malaga, Granada, Ronda, Mijas, Fuengirola market that is the best in the are, Puerto Banus, Marbella. We could have done Gibraltar, Nerja, Sevile, and tour North Africa but didn't. All MacDonald resorts are quality resorts. Rent a car and do most of the tours at your own pace. You'll see a lot of British in the area. My onlybregret was staying only one week. If you can stay abfew days more. Enjoy.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaga spain

We stayed at macdonald dona lola, all macdonalds are excellent. If my memory is correct marbella is about one hour away from malaga the city. If you stay in estepone you'll be at a more of a midpoint location. Think of the area as a long road with lot of small cities, if you plan to do a lot of driving and the resorts are equal in quality go to the one nearer where you plan to go. The Marbella area restaurants may be a little pricier than the ones in Estepona.

9. Re: Malaga spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 March 2012, 22:37
Benalmadena, Spain
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaga spain

the weather has been brilliant this year can not remember when it last rained