We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week in Andalucia

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
One week in Andalucia
Save

Hello, my husband and I are planning to go to Andalucia for our wedding anniversary at the beginning of October. Lots of things still up in the air, but we do know we want to go to Granada as he has yet to see the Alhambra. But other than that, still planning the itinerary. Thinking of flying to either Sevilla or Malaga and then taking the train to Granada. We both don't drive so relying on public transport to get around. Would also love to spend some days at the beach. Cadiz has long been on our list but not sure if maybe it's too far away this time around and to leave it for a different trip. What do you guys think? Is it worth going to Cadiz after Granada or are we better off around the area of Nerja? If so, any recommendations? Thank you!!!

17 replies to this topic
Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
12,303 posts
89 reviews
80 helpful votes
1. Re: One week in Andalucia
Save

Re The Alhambra….

In order to visit the “best” bit , (The Nasrid Palace) you need to book in advance and be given a time slot as they limit the numbers. In there.

Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
4,837 posts
220 reviews
207 helpful votes
2. Re: One week in Andalucia
Save

Personally i would save cadiz for another trip as theres also places like jerez de la frontera, the roman ruins at bolonia beach, arcos de la fontera and vejer which are imo must sees when in the area.

Flying into either seville or malaga you need to spend time in these cities if you havnt before. Dependibg on wHt you like to see 3 nights in sevile and maybe 2 in malaga, 3 nights in granada.

If you are looking for a resort south of granada then nerja is you best bet. Very pretty and very popular

Edited: 22 August 2021, 18:15
Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
13,344 posts
49 reviews
64 helpful votes
3. Re: One week in Andalucia
Save

For me Seville is one of the major tapas areas of Spain, with its attractions worth at least 3 nights.

Malaga has beach life and wonderful attractions, so again three nights.

For me Granada not worth 3 nights.

Easy to do all three venues via public transport.

Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
4,837 posts
220 reviews
207 helpful votes
4. Re: One week in Andalucia
Save

I would say 3 nights for granada if you are visiting the alhambra as that gives you one full day in the city centre and the day you arrive.otherwise a couple would prob be enough

Estepona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Estepona
Level Contributor
6,390 posts
794 reviews
2,023 helpful votes
5. Re: One week in Andalucia
Save

You are clearly going to need a 9-day week!

I think it is a pity to visit Andalucia and not see the beautiful town of Estepona, the garden of the Costa del Sol. But I am not a neutral advisor here. 😉 I just so love it!

At least have a look at some photos of its gorgeous 100+ pedestrianised and flower-filled streets!

http://bit.do/EstCentHis

Best wishes for a lovely holiday, wherever you choose to go.

Co. Kildare
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
7 reviews
10 helpful votes
6. Re: One week in Andalucia
Save

If it were me, I’d try to stretch the week; flights permitting; assuming working week, fly out on Friday return Sunday. I too think Cadiz is a squeeze as there is so much in that area

Day 0: Fly to Seville

Day 1: Seville

Day 2: Seville

Day 3: travel to Granada, mooch around, visit points of interest to you

Day 4: Alhambra with booked entrance to the palace (much easier than previously, ignore any info on the internet that precedes 2020)

Day 5: travel to Malaga

Day 6: Malaga region

Day 7: Malaga region

Day 8: Malaga region

Day 9: Fly home

You have lots of options for beach relaxation at the end of the week. Although the weather doesn’t always play the game you want.

Once in Malaga, options:

Stay in the city which has lots to offer; history, art and beaches within walking and short bus journeys.

Take a bus east to Nerja which is a pretty and busy tourist town.

Take the local train west to any of the towns between Malaga and Fuengirola; beaches, promenades and quick and inexpensive public transport to Malaga centre and the airport.

The suggestion above gives 3 full days for R&R and sightseeing but one of these days could be added to Seville or Granada. (Others may suggest Cordoba enroute to Granada) or of course start or finish a day sooner

Co. Kildare
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
7 reviews
10 helpful votes
7. Re: One week in Andalucia
Save

Ah Tourista, great minds. I think 7 days is too short.

Sorry I didn't even consider Estepona for this trip😮

How very dare I ?😟

Indeed my suggested itinerary would allow for a day trip to Estepona 😁

Edited: 22 August 2021, 20:18
Estepona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Estepona
Level Contributor
6,390 posts
794 reviews
2,023 helpful votes
8. Re: One week in Andalucia
Save

👍

Kildare, I was going to put an emoji of a cowboy and say "Bang, bang, you're dead!", but that is probably not allowed nowadays. 😉 How could you not include Estepona! 😁

But 3 days in Malaga area, one day Nerja, one day Malaga city, one day Estepona sounds about right!

Have a good week when it begins.

Co. Kildare
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
7 reviews
10 helpful votes
9. Re: One week in Andalucia
Save

Turista, they are very boring with emoji, no sense of satire !

I wonder if any of the suggestions have been useful to anisali.

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
10. Re: One week in Andalucia
Save

Hello everybody, you guys are the best. I got quite emotional reading all your helpful thoughts and comments. Thank you so much kind Internet strangers for all your help. You've made our day.

We are gonna see if we can extend the trip by a few days (to eat all the tapas) and will definitely leave Cadiz for another trip. Next steps is booking our Alhambra slot and flights and start planning in detail.

Thank you very very much. Lots of social distance internet hugs.

Reply to: One week in Andalucia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.