We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best deal for a local SIM - 99% data usage, not phone

Level Contributor
129 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Best deal for a local SIM - 99% data usage, not phone

I am going to be in Spain for 12 days starting in late June. We have a hacked iPhone that I have used for travel before. What we need to figure out is what local provider will give us good service and the best deal for our usage, which is primarily data, very few, if any, calls. Ideally I'd like to get at least 100 mb per day allowance at the low end, and I'd like to not have to pay more than a couple euros per day.

In England I think it was Vodafone, we paid 50 p per day with 1 GB data transfer cap. In Ireland, Vodafone was a much less reasonable 250 MB for 2 euros I think, per day.

Thanks for the help!

Level Contributor
129 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best deal for a local SIM - 99% data usage, not phone

Nothing? :(

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best deal for a local SIM - 99% data usage, not phone

You could try Vodafone again. They are aslo in Spain. You can also try Movistar or Orange. I don't know whether you will get a good deal on it though. You may be better off going places with free wifi (there are many in Madrid including all public buses and the McDonalds oddly enough).

Level Contributor
129 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best deal for a local SIM - 99% data usage, not phone

It's important to us to have connectivity without having to hunt down wifi, since we will be in 5 cities and hunting down wifi will waste a large amount of your vacation. I'm hoping to get some actual prices, but I guess that's not possible :(

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best deal for a local SIM - 99% data usage, not phone

I guess not. I don't know actual prices. You're probably going to have to go to stores and try them out. I know it's not popular and the companies here do not like to do it at all. Many will refuse if the equipment is not theirs. Good luck.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best deal for a local SIM - 99% data usage, not phone

Check the following website for your iPhone data program. Spain Sim is located in Madrid. They have a few special programs they are offering, but told me that because these programs are so popular, you will have to get you order in as soon as possible.

iPhone4 and iPads: http://www.spainsim.com/microSIM.htm

Other iPhones and smartphones: http://www.spainsim.com/voda3gSIM.htm

BlackBerry: http://www.spainsim.com/blackberry.htm

Level Contributor
129 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best deal for a local SIM - 99% data usage, not phone

I'll check that out, thanks!

Level Contributor
129 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best deal for a local SIM - 99% data usage, not phone

Ah, the limits for that are way to low - they use the typical Vodafone plans, and 1 GB just isn't going to be enough considering the price they charge. Thanks for the help, I think we'll be going with Carrefour. Hopefully it's as good of a deal as it looks online/

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best deal for a local SIM - 99% data usage, not phone

Hi

May I ask how you got on in Spain with your SIM hunt over the summer?

We go to Spain next month, will be touring around, and I am looking for a SIM mainly for data usage - email, general surfing and SKYPE.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Teresa

Level Contributor
129 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best deal for a local SIM - 99% data usage, not phone

prepaidgsm.net/forum/spain-portugal/6743-upd…

That page chronicles my and one other guy's experience.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best deal for a local SIM - 99% data usage, not phone

Many thanks!