We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona in January

Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
Barcelona in January

Hello Fellow Travelers,

I am thinking of a quick trip to Barcelona, Spain to celebrate my birthday in January.

We've never been and my husband and I are excited to visit.

Concern: January is typically a cold month and I do not want the weather to mar our experience.

Is it ill-advised to visit during that time or will we still have a great experience that time of year?

I love seeing the vibrant, beautiful city pictures - will ours be dull and dreary? :)

Best Seller
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
3,165 Reviews
from US$ 44.70*
Best Seller
Montserrat Tour from Barcelona...
718 Reviews
from US$ 111.69*
Best Seller
City Sightseeing Barcelona Hop-On...
2,544 Reviews
from US$ 35.30*
4 replies to this topic
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
70,592 posts
3,788 reviews
1. Re: Barcelona in January

For Barcelona:

Downtown Barcelona is the Plaza de Catalunya. Use Booking.com to screen hotels or apartments in Downtown Barcelona. A good place to stay is the Eixample, the modern barrio of the city built in the 19th and 20th centuries, with a square grid of streets. The Passeig de Gracia is the most elegant avenue, with upscale stores. Good shopping streets downtown are Portal de l’Angel, Portaferrisa and Pelayo.

El Corte Ingles is a large department store located at Plaza de Catalunya. Maremagnum is located by the port and is a mall that is open also on Sunday, when most shops are closed.

The most important sights are the Modernist sites, which are the Gaudi sites and the Lluis Domenech sites. Prebook the Sagrada Familia Basilica, the Palau de la Musica Catalana, Park Guell and the Picasso Museum. A day trip to Montserrat is suggested. Other must see sights: La Pedrera (Casa Mila), Casa Batllo, Palau Guell, Torre Bellesguard, Cathedral.

Good restaurants in the Eixample:

1. El Nacional (Passeig de Gracia, 24; Tel: 935-185-053) - A big building with a very beautiful and original interior design, with 5 restaurants and one long bar. Moderately priced.

2. La Palmera (Enric Granados, 57; Tel. 934-532-338) - A small family run restaurant with a very good tasting menu.

3. La Rita (Arago, 279; Tel: 934-872-376) - An attractive restaurant with an inexpensive menu of the day. Great food.

4. Cerveseria Catalana (Mallorca, 236; Tel: 932-160-368) - Very good tapas place.

Just dress warmly and bring a small foldable umbrella.

Pueblo Nuevo de...
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
129 reviews
2. Re: Barcelona in January

Last time I went to Barcelona in January it was cold, & I wrapped up warmly in the evening.

It was however clear during the day, but to honest even had it been dreary it would not have spoiled my visit.

Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Barcelona in January

Benny, OMG!! Thank you so much for the detailed information.

It will certainly help us in the planning and execution stages and enable us to make wise decisions while we are there.

I am even more hopeful and excited about the trip now.

Much appreciated!!

Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Barcelona in January

I see, thank you for that.

I suppose the weather is not enough to dampen the experience then.

Good to hear that!

Reply to: Barcelona in January
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted