We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas market

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
44 posts
31 reviews
Christmas market

Is there a Christmas market in Eisenach - not at Wartburg Castle which is a week-end market. We will be in Erfurt on a Monday. Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
1. Re: Christmas market

Sure there is. In Marktplatz (market square), open from Nov 27 to Dec 20.

However, I hope you have planned time to see the one in Erfurt, too?

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
44 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Christmas market

Yes, We are going to Eisenach from Frankfurt. Next day Erfurt and then Weimar and back to Frankfurt via Wurzberg and Mittenberg and maybe Bamberg if we have time. Short trip but we love the Xmas markets! Is Weimar as good as Erfurt? Do you also comment on Bamberg, Wurzberg, and Mittenberg? Our last trip was to Dresden, Leipzig, and several towns in the Erzgebirge - fantastic, all of them!

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
44 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Christmas market

We have already decided to skip Eisenach and go directly to Erfurt. I realize that Bamberg would not be in your area. Is Jena a nice market? Would the combination of Eisenach and Weimar take 2 1/2 days? Thanks for any additonal info.

Germany
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Christmas market

Jena is good. But it's another relatively big city - what about Naumburg? Famous for its cathedral (a must!) and they have a very nice Advent program with lots of Christmassy events. Unfortunately only in German, but you might get an idea: naumburg-im-advent.de/weihnachtsmarkt.html

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
44 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Christmas market

Thanks for your advice. Naumberg is unfortunately away from Frankfurt where we have to be on 12/1. Maybe if we have a free afternoon we can drive there and back to Weimar. Our other option i to head to Bamberg.

Germany
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Christmas market

Then Jena is also out of the question.

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
44 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: Christmas market

Well, we could do one or the other, i guess and skip Bamberg. I always love your advice - we've done a couple of Xmas market trips based on your suggestions. I think that Dresden will always be our favorite area but we're trying to branch out! This year is a very short trip.. Thanks.

Reply to: Christmas market
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Eisenach