We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt to Dusseldorf by train -- booking online

Nova Scotia
2 posts
Save Topic
Frankfurt to Dusseldorf by train -- booking online

I am trying to book an ICE ticket from Frankfurt Airport to Dusseldorf. Plenty of trains available on the date I want, and for only 29 Euros. If I book for him, I have to enter his ID, and the only acceptable forms are credit card, Bahnhof card, Maestro card, or ID card, none of which he has. (He has a passport, of course, but that's not an option).

I don't want to buy the ticket and have him stuck unable to use it. Any suggestions?

Nova Scotia
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt to Dusseldorf by train -- booking online

I should have said BahnCard not Bahnhof Card.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,545 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt to Dusseldorf by train -- booking online

Best deal for this trip would be a Rail&Fly ticket. May be even less (prices are set by the airlines) and they are flexible - what a discounted ticket for EUR 29 is not. This might become a problem if his plane arrives late. Partner airlines offering Rail&Fly

bahn.de/p/view/mdb/pv/mobilit_t/rail_fly_air…

As an example: Lufthansa on Rail&Fly

lufthansa.com/online/…

> plenty of trains available on the date I want,

Trains cannot sell out in Germany.

> , none of which he has.

Than you cannot buy an Online-Ticket (e-ticket). But you can buy a classical (DB special paper) ticket. Select for this "Tickets per Mail". Will add a shipping fee of EUR 3,50. Same type of tickets like when buying at the counter. Such tickets are not personalized at all.

Edited: 25 May 2011, 01:09
Minnesota
Level Contributor
11 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt to Dusseldorf by train -- booking online

This is well after the above dates but today I checked Icelandair's "Rail & Fly" program and learned that the fee for the rail trip from FRA to DUS is 45E ($59). They suggested it may be better to book directly with www.bahn.de as there are more options, possible specials and a better price. She indicated that this is always the fee for Icelandair. Of course, other airlines may have different costs, you will need to call them to find out.

4. Re: Frankfurt to Dusseldorf by train -- booking online

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2013, 14:49