We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt - Rhine Valley - Cologne - Frankfurt

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Topic
Frankfurt - Rhine Valley - Cologne - Frankfurt

Hi,

we are planning a trip in Nov to Germany. We have only around 12 days so we are thinking if it is viable to do the above.

As of now, our draft itinerary is as such

Land at Frankfurt airport on day one and travel directly to Middle Rhine valley and spent about 8 days in the different towns before traveling cologne for 2 days and back to Frankfurt for the last 2 days. We would like to travel by Linke Rheinstrecke ..

We intend to start the Rhine valley at Mainz... and carry on from there.

Would appreciate if anyone can tell us which are the towns that are must see along that stretch and If our plan makes any sense at all..

Many thanks in advance.

J

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,192 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt - Rhine Valley - Cologne - Frankfurt

In November there isn't as much to do in the Rhine villages and the weather will probably be cold.

The linke Rheinstrecke towns of interest: Bacharach, Oberwesel, St. Goar, Boppard. St. Goar's castle is open on weekends in winter as a rule. Pay a visit to Marksburg on the other side too: www.marksburg.de

I could see spending maybe 2 days in this area. I'd suggest 2 additional days on the Mosel River - Cochem and Trier are both charming in their own ways and worth visiting. One day is usually enough for Mainz. I'd suggest maybe 2 days in Cologne, and maybe 2 in Frankfurt. That's 9 days.

You have plenty of time. Would you be interested in spending 2-3 days somewhere else as well?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt - Rhine Valley - Cologne - Frankfurt

Thanks for the prompt reply! I would love to see Trier, i gave it up as was assuming that we would not have sufficient time.. so now we can :)

ok.. so we should be looking at

2days in one of the villages as base to go around Rhine valley

2days in trier, maybe visiting Cochem on a day trip?(or maybe 3 days there so we can see more of trier)

1day in Mainz ( is it worth one day?I wanted Mainz simply because it sort of starts the valley tour, something like that :p)

2days in cologne

2 days in frankfurt

totally 9 days and yes with the extra time we would love to see somewhere else.. any suggestions? Black forest? Or is it too out of the way?

Thanks.. really :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt - Rhine Valley - Cologne - Frankfurt

Now I am thinking of seeing Stuttgart... Too ambitious anyone?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Frankfurt - Rhine Valley - Cologne - Frankfurt

hi,

me again... after reading the many posts and answers on TA.. i venture to ask one question - Is it possible for us to stay all our 10- 12 nights in Mainz and get to see all the below places via day trips?

1)Frankfurt

2)Cologne

3)Trier & Cochem

4)Rhine valley

5)Heildelberg

6)Stuttgart

7)Esslingen

8) Ludwigsburg

9) Tuebingen

10)Neusweinstein Castle

We are assuming that lesser relocation mean mores time to explore and see :)

Please help.. thanks...

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,192 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frankfurt - Rhine Valley - Cologne - Frankfurt

If you want to spend most of your time in the Rhine/Mosel region, which seems to be your primary area of interest, this travel guide provides pretty complete information:

flyhahn.com/cities/…cochem

Doing daytrips is a good plan - regional daypasses good for travel on the regional trains make this an inexpensive way to stay in one place and visit others while seeing a little of the countryside.

Frankfurt, the Middle Rhine, Heidelberg, and maybe Cochem (2 hours each way) are feasible daytrips from Mainz. But the distances to the other destinations you mention are probably too far for easy daytrips. By regional train, Trier and Stuttgart 3 hours each way, Tübingen 4-5 hours. And it's 15 hours to Neuschwanstein (not really a castle anyway - I wouldn't bother.)

I would suggest Boppard as a base for the Rhine/Mosel - it's a charming town that lies15 train min. south of Koblenz (the train hub for the area) and is 2 hours or less to Cologne, Frankfurt and Trier, 45 min. to Mainz, and very close to Cochem and the Middle Rhine towns.

"Black forest? Or is it too out of the way?"

In your last post, you named A LOT of possible destinations. It might be possible to visit 2-3 of them in addition to your Cologne/Frankfurt/Mainz/Rhine/Mosel stay. I'm pretty fond of the Black Forest towns, but perhaps you're interested in modern cities like Stuttgart, or a handsome old university town like Tübingen.

If you want to get a feel for what the Black Forest is like, you'll find lots of photos and comments in the trip reports at Bavaria Ben's website; search this page for "Black Forest", "Schwarzwald", Schiltach, Gutach, Triberg, or Gengenbach.

http://www.bensbauernhof.com/tripreports.html

Schiltach is a particularly handsome town in the heart of the BF:

www.bensbauernhof.com/schiltach2010.jpg

One big advantage of visiting the Black Forest: If you stay in one of the BF villages, your daytrips to other BF places by train are FREE:

http://www.blackforest-tourism.com/konus

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Frankfurt - Rhine Valley - Cologne - Frankfurt

Hi Russ,

Thank you once again for the very informative reply!!. Those links you recommended will take us a couple of days to read and decide on a course of action as they are so detailed and complete.. the thing that bugs us is that we have so little time this trip but so many places we wanted to see ..

Our major area of interest are the Rhine valley and the black forest area, the quaint little towns, rural Germany. Cities are not big on our list, coming from a country like Singapore where the entire island is one big bustling city :( so if i am not wrong, what you are suggestion is that we have a base in rhine, say maybe boppard or as your reply in my other query on cologne and trier, to stay in cochem; and another base around black forest to make the most of the regional traveling benefits? BTW, is Baden-Württemberg = Black Forest region? We had our eyes on a town named Esslingen that simply draws us and am thinking of staying there instead of Stuttgart, making Stuttgart a day trip instead..

I apologize if it sounds like we are so indecisive, truth is we are gradually concretizing the itinerary collecting info from TA, and hopefully by end May we would be able to finalized and book our rooms :)

Thank you for your help..

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,192 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frankfurt - Rhine Valley - Cologne - Frankfurt

"...so if i am not wrong, what you are suggestion is that we have a base in rhine, say maybe boppard or as your reply in my other query on cologne and trier, to stay in cochem; and another base around black forest..."

That sounds reasonable to me.

It might be easiest to break it up your visit into 4 locations:

Boppard (5 nights) w/ outings to neighboring Rhine villages, Trier, Cochem, Cologne, and Braubach (Marksburg Castle.)

Mainz (0 nights) Visit for several hours on your trip south to Esslingen.

Esslingen (2 nights?) I don't know Esslingen at all - maybe marcopolko or blandine forberg will chime in with some tips, or you could post a separate question. (My guess is that marcopolko will tell you to go to Tübingen instead, a university town that qualifies as his favorite place on the planet.)

Black Forest (3-4 nights): It would be wise to stay in one of the villages on the Black Forest Railway line, which cuts through the heart of the BF; check into Gengenbach, a handsome walled town, where you'd be close to the BF villages and also to Freiburg.

gengenbach.info/de/…

http://www.gengenbach.info/en/tourism/

The BF is a much smaller region than Baden-Württemberg but is still pretty large. Here's a map of the rail lines in the BF (Gengenbach is on line 4 near Offenburg; you can ride most of the rail lines you see here for free w/ the Konus Karte .)

www.schwarzwald.com/karte/bahnlinien.html

This map shows Baden-Württemberg and the Black Forest area within B-W:

www.urlaub-bauernhof.de/gfx/karte_en.gif

The BF Railway is described here; read about the towns there too: black-forest-travel.com/places-of-interest/b…

Schiltach: http://www.black-forest-travel.com/schiltach/

Villingen is a nice place too: tourismus-vs.de/en/…villingen.html

Frankfurt (1 night to fly out, 2 nights if you want to see the city.)

Edited: 02 May 2012, 09:30
8. Re: Frankfurt - Rhine Valley - Cologne - Frankfurt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 12:47