We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt or Munich

Lyndhurst, Ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Frankfurt or Munich

My wife and I are planning a trip to Europe this summer and we have two or three days in early July to fill in our itinerary. We will be coming for Saint Gallen, Switzerland and have an option of going to Frankfurt or Munich before going to Salzburg, Austria. While in Salzburg we plan to go to the Eagle’s Nest and tour the “Sound of Music” sites, so we would not plan to do that from Munich. We will be driving so the difference in driving time is well within what we are comfortable doing in one day. Any suggestions on preference would be great.

Thanks,

Kevin Vidmar

London, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt or Munich

Hi

I've been to Munich and it's alright, not fantastic. You can also go to Fussen and see the 2 magical castles built by the mad king Ludwig. I'm off to Frankfurt soon so I'll be able to comment on that. But my gut feeling is Munich as Frankfurt is more a business city.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,038 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt or Munich

You have a car, so why go to either. There are many delightful places to visit in both Baden-Wuerttemberg ( www.baden-wuerttemberg.de ; www.tourismus-bw.de ; www.schloesser-und-gaerten.de for the excellent castles, palaces, monasteries and gardens operated by this state) and Bavaria throughout the countryside, unless you want to visit a large city. If so, also consider Stuttgart ( www.stuttgart-tourist.de ). I would consider places like our favorite town in Germany, the old college town of Tuebingen ( www.tuebingen.de ) or Ulm ( www.ulm.de ) with its cathedral with the record height church spire.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt or Munich

Munich is fine for 2 or 3 days. Plenty to see and do in the city, but also some fine daytrips like the village of Hohenschwangau with Hohenschwangau Castle and Neuschwanstein Castle, and the Wieskirche, Linderhof, Ettal, etc.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frankfurt or Munich

Oh, and Munich fits in better with the rest of your itinerary.

Gold Bar, Washington
Level Contributor
584 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frankfurt or Munich

If you have a car I would recommend you stay in a town on sbahn line and train into Munich or Frankfurt. Munich center has lots of traffic jams. If this is first trip to Germany I would suggest Munich over Frankfurt. I have been to both and I think there is more to do in Munich. Frankfurt is farther from Salzburg your next stop.

Germany
Level Contributor
67 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frankfurt or Munich

I would definitely recommend Munich over Frankfurt for the first timer. Munich is much more touristy (it will more like what you expect to Germany to be) whereas Frankfurt as a city is more of a business/finance hub with not a great deal to offer for the tourist. Munich is also in Baveria which is a wonderful state only a short drive up to the Alps and the surrounding countryside is amazing. Lots to see and do and an easy day trip across the border to places in Switzerland.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frankfurt or Munich

I enjoy Munich, have been there a number of times since the late 70s, and find it to be an interesting and hopsitable city. There is plenty to explore and it is also a nice base for day trips.

I have only been to Frankfurt once, for one day, last year, and I would not go out of my way to return.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,475 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Frankfurt or Munich

Frankfurt does offer quite a bit for the tourist, it is lively, very old, very historic city. It has a rich Jewish history, it was an Imperial city, the coronation city, the election city, home of the 1st German Parliament, birthplace of Goethe and Anne Frank. If you like museums, you have your choice of over 40. Festivals of all kinds, including the Museumsufer Fest which draws over 3 million visitors for a weekend of culture and fun. I could go on and on, but there area enough posts from me on this subject about what is available to see and do in Frankfurt. I cover many of the historic sights, buildings and the medieval churches.

It is unfortunate that people don't do a bit more research before they write this beautiful city off their travel plans. The fact that it is in the middle of Germany also makes it a great place for a base for travel to smaller towns for day trips.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Frankfurt or Munich

I'm not writing off Frankfurt, but Munich is more interesting for most international visitors. And it certainly fits the OP's itinerary better than Frankfurt does.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,475 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Frankfurt or Munich

I think Frankfurt is way too far away geographically too, especially with all the other stuff there is to see in Bavaria.

Not real sure why it was even on their list to visit as it certainly is not near Salzburg, or Switzerland, or the Eagles Nest.