We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive or take a train from Frankfurt to Garmisch??

pennsylvania
10 posts
Save Topic
Drive or take a train from Frankfurt to Garmisch??

We will be landing in Frankfurt the end of September and will be traveling to Garmisch. Is it best to take a train or to rent a car and drive to Garmisch? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Rhine Valley Trip from Frankfurt...
431 reviews
from US$ 96.27*
Black Forest and Strasbourg Day Trip...
125 reviews
from US$ 249.80*
Special Offer
Super Saver: Neuschwanstein Castle...
45 reviews
from US$ 338.76*
US$ 506.92
Heidelberg Half-Day Trip from...
213 reviews
from US$ 96.27*
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive or take a train from Frankfurt to Garmisch??

If you plan to drive on the same day to Garmisch than use rather the train. To drive such a long distance in Germany under jetlag is on the scale from dangerous to suicide rather close to the latter.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e

To: Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Cheap ticket options

a) Rail&Fly from your airline

bahn.de/p/…railfly_b_to_b_engl.shtml

b) using local trains

The trip will than take 8 hours, but will cost you only (together)

- Sa,So EUR 33,00

- Mo-Fr EUR 40,20

If you're interested in this, I can post details.

This is less than the fuel costs for a rental car will be.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive or take a train from Frankfurt to Garmisch??

I agree the train is better. Years ago I had an accident after a trans Atlantic flight, mainly because my reaction time was just too slow.

It is safer and cheaper to take the train. Then you can always reserve a car in Garmisch for the next day.

Regards, Gary

pennsylvania
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive or take a train from Frankfurt to Garmisch??

Thank you for your response. I am interested in a train ride to Garmisch. We will be in Frankfurt for 5 days before going to Garmisch.

Can you advise me which train to take and about how much the train ticket will cost? Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
354 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive or take a train from Frankfurt to Garmisch??

Go back and check the first response that Abalada gave you. If you go to the website for the DB that she gave you, it will give you a query form, in english, that you can use to get the information that you want. If you go to the banner at the top of the DB website and click on "Internat. Guests" it will give you a page where you can find a ton of information, also in english, of how to buy tickets, fares, reservations, stations etc. It is a very through and helpful site.

Roughly, it takes about 5 hours plus a tad to go from Frankfurt airport to Garmisch. There is a train station on the first level of Terminal 1. The actual fare depends on the number and age of passengers. There are sometimes deals for traveling on the rail-- sometimes your airline can make the reservations (rail and fly) for you at a discount

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive or take a train from Frankfurt to Garmisch??

It will take about 5 hours if you take the ICE (faster intercity express) train to Munich and then a local train Garmisch. This will cost 91 Euros per person, 182 per couple.

On some days, there is an IC Train from Frankfurt to Garmisch at 10:18 am with no connections that costs 76 euros per person and takes 6+ hours.

If you want slower, less expensive options, you have to ride regional trains the whole route, which is what we typically do. On the website that abalada referenced:

change the "Means of Transportation" to "only local transport"

You can see the options of 7.5 to 8+ hours. The prices shown are not that much cheaper. However, on local transportation, you can use the weekend ticket that abalada mentioned at 33 euros for a group of up to 5.

During the weekdays on regional (local) trains you can combine a short distance regular fare ticket with a Bayern (Bavarian) ticket for the time that you are in the state of Bavaria. I am less familiar with this option and hoped that abalada would step in to answer your question. Bavaria extends a long ways north towards Frankfurt. I know that Aschaffenburg is still in Bavaria and in Frankfurt's local tranportation network. You can ride to Aschaffenburg for 9.50 euros a person. From there to Garmisch you can use the Bayern-Ticket at 29 euros for a group up to 5 people. You buy both tickets at the Frankfurt train station and just stay on the train (eg. the 9:30 regional express to Würzburg). That comes to 48 euros for two people. Abalada obviously has a closer point to Frankfurt that works.

The regional trains are slower, by 3 hours or so and require 3 transfers but will save you 90 euros or more. It would be worth it to us but not to a lot of folks.

Hope that I have not muddied the water too much.

Regards, Gary

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,862 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive or take a train from Frankfurt to Garmisch??

In addition what Trikist wrote:

First stop in Bavaria coming from Frankfurt is Kahl. Single ticket is EUR 6,60.

Buy these tickets from ticket machines in Frankfurt. They are good from any train/U-Bahn/tram/bus stop in Frankfurt to Kahl.

Bavaria ticket is EUR 27,00 if you buy it from ticket machines.

Thus with regional trains from Frankfurt to Garmisch-Partenkirchen is for 2 persons:

Sa,So: EUR 33,00 (Happy-Weekend-Ticket)

Mo-Fr: 2 x 6,60 (RMV price level 4 single ticket) + EUR 27,00 (Bavaria Ticket) = EUR 40,20

With more persons it will become even cheaper per person.

pennsylvania
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive or take a train from Frankfurt to Garmisch??

Thank you everyone for all your help. My husband and I are looking forward to a wonderful time in Germany and you have been so kind with your advice.

8. Re: Drive or take a train from Frankfurt to Garmisch??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 22:47