We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible to sleep in Berlin hbf overnight? Safe?

5 posts
1 review
Possible to sleep in Berlin hbf overnight? Safe?

My friend and I are gonna catch a 04:30 train at Berlin hbf to Hannover in late July 2018. Don't wanna spend more money for just half a night at the hostel, so we wanna just sleep at the Berlin hbf station.

Is it possible (would it be close during the night/ get kicked out)? Is it safe?

Thanks in advance!

5 replies to this topic
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,807 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Possible to sleep in Berlin hbf overnight? Safe?

That‘s not a good idea,

4:30 really is more like a „very early“ departure so I do think it would be worth staying at a hostel for a couple of hours.

A large train station in a large city is no place where you would want to ... sleep.

You could also just stay awake and go out drinking or partying somewhere in the city.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
20,117 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Possible to sleep in Berlin hbf overnight? Safe?

Safe yes, comfortable no. As before mentioned, either party the night thru or check into a hostel close to the station. You would not get kicked out as the stations will not close. But I would not do it either.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,588 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Possible to sleep in Berlin hbf overnight? Safe?

The Hauptbahnhof really has no area conducive to sleeping. It’s all soaring metallic spaces, glass and commerce. What benches there are, are hard and designed for maybe a 15-minute wait. The most comfortable place where I could imagine hanging out for a few hours is McDonalds – and that’s telling you something.

Dusseldorf, Germany
Level Contributor
974 posts
293 reviews
4. Re: Possible to sleep in Berlin hbf overnight? Safe?

You will probably be guided out of the station by security. In Germany, it is not acceptable to sleep in train stations or other public areas.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,588 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Possible to sleep in Berlin hbf overnight? Safe?

I think you’d be allowed to stay if you have an outgoing train ticket.

Reply to: Possible to sleep in Berlin hbf overnight? Safe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted