We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rothenburg or Nuremburg or Wurzburg

Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rothenburg or Nuremburg or Wurzburg

Hi - I will be travelling from Dresden to Munich in the second week of December - I have an extra day with me and would like to explore either of Rothenburg or Nuremburg or Wurzburg - Which one would you suggest - I am sure not more than one of these can be covered in a day. (The itinerary currently is Cologne 0.5D, Berlin 2.5D, Dresden 1D, Munich 3D and 1 extra day) - Request your suggestions (Considering that I will be there in the first 10 days of December)

23 replies to this topic
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,886 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rothenburg or Nuremburg or Wurzburg

Add that day to Dresden, and don't squeeze even more destinations into your already tight schedule. One day is not enough for the city, let alone during Christmas market season.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,431 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rothenburg or Nuremburg or Wurzburg

Where else? Depends on your interests I guess, but it's not clear what those are.

Cologne, Munich, Berlin, Dresden - all mostly flattened in WW II and rebuilt. Nuremberg and Würzburg don't have a whole lot in the way of old-world integrity either. Even Rothenburg was nearly half-demolished in WW II and rebuilt - and it's full of tourists and tourist-oriented shopkeepers and innkeepers, not much else... https:/…B6rung_Weltkrieg_1945.jpg

...so without knowing just what your interests are, my vote goes to someplace different - Bamberg, a very fine town that does more than tourism, a place with a Medieval old town that has earned UNESCO World Heritage status, and with a solid grasp of beer and food culture. It can be visited easily enough in a day.

…hellomagazine.com/imagenes/travel/201204167…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamberg#/media…

http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/bambpubs.htm

http://en.bamberg.info/sehenswuerdigkeiten/

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,886 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rothenburg or Nuremburg or Wurzburg

Bamberg is surely an excellent choice. But the OP's itinerary is already tight and they are travelling in early December, i.e. Christmas market season, and if there is a traditional place for that it's Dresden. I still stick with my recommendation to extend the stay in Dresden.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,207 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rothenburg or Nuremburg or Wurzburg

Add that day to Cologne, it's certainly better than squeezing in another city. But if you want that extra city go for Nuremberg as it is on the way to Munich and has a nice down town area.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,431 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rothenburg or Nuremburg or Wurzburg

Just to be clear, I don't disagree that your itinerary is too tight, parth15. IIMO it is. If it were my trip, I would allocate at least 4 nights to Berlin and drop something else - or I'd save Berlin for another time and spend my time elsewhere. I did not suggest Bamberg because I think you need an additional stop but because you asked for a suggestion... so perhaps Bamberg could replace Dresden and you could spend the extra time in Berlin... or perhaps 3 nights in Munich is too many... none of us really knows what interests you in the places you've chosen and how you plan to spend your limited time; it's all on you to sort it out...

Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rothenburg or Nuremburg or Wurzburg

Thanks. Will consider

Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Rothenburg or Nuremburg or Wurzburg

My interests:

Berlin - I am interested visiting the WW memorials

Munich - for the city, the bavarian castles

Dresden - not sure, i heard its must for a visit

Rothenburg/ Nuremberg/ Wurzburg - Interested in seeing a german small town - the country life

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,886 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rothenburg or Nuremburg or Wurzburg

Nuremberg is a major city of 500,000 inhabitants. Not much "country life" to be expected. Würzburg has 125,000 - not exactly small either. And Rothenburg is too touristy for that.

If you know nothing about Dresden and have no real interest in the city, then skip it. Visiting a place "just because you heard it's a must-see" makes little sense.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,431 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rothenburg or Nuremburg or Wurzburg

Some information in your areas of interest in case you wish to minimize your ground travel time / reduce your # of destinations...

WW II / Munich: ns-dokuzentrum-muenchen.de/1/…

WW II / Nuremberg: museums.nuremberg.de/documentation-centre/

WW II / Cologne: museenkoeln.de/ns-dokumentationszentrum/…

Bavarian Castles: The oft-visited Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau, and Linderhof are all residential palaces, not genuine castles, 2 of them built in the late 19th century long after the age of medieval castles It's about 5 hours transit time round trip from Munich to N'stein. Some real castles you might visit:

Marksburg, about 1 hour south of Cologne: http://www.marksburg.de/en/

Wartburg, Eisenach, open year round, English tour at 1:30 pm: http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/897

"Interested in seeing a german small town - the country life" - Those cities don't qualify. Bad Windsheim, not far from those cities, has an amazing outdoor museum that covers rural life over the last 5-6 centuries:

freilandmuseum.de/startseite/information-en.…

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,431 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rothenburg or Nuremburg or Wurzburg

Small towns: Iphofen is an old walled town with some good sights and a wine/art emphasis on the train line between Wuerzburg and Nuremberg. Have a look at some photos here:

stadtbild-deutschland.org/forum/index.php…

Reply to: Rothenburg or Nuremburg or Wurzburg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted