We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DB train seatings

Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
DB train seatings

Is seating on DB trains fixed if I did not choose to reserve a seat, or it is free for all except reserved seat in 1st class?

Best Seller
Royal Castles of Neuschwanstein and...
4,275 Reviews
from US$ 62.90*
Small-Group Neuschwanstein and...
439 Reviews
from US$ 138.50*
Best Seller
Neuschwanstein Castle Small-Group Day...
1,855 Reviews
from US$ 57.00*
12 replies to this topic
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,470 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DB train seatings

On most regional trains you cannot reserver seats at all.

On long-distance trains you may choose to reserve seats but you don‘t need to (1st or 2nd class doesn‘t make a difference).

There are displays above or at each seat showing the section (e.g. München-Frankfurt) for which it is reserved. Reserved seats can still be used by anyone until the person with the reservation shows up (they may also be a no-show).

If you didn‘t make a seat reservation you can choose any seat isn‘t reserved (blank display) or only reserved from a stop after your destination.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 17:35
Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DB train seatings

Also is the 1st class on EC219 full? Planning to take in July. Which is better open-salon or compartment?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,470 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DB train seatings

I don‘t know how „full“ any given train number is going to be and that probably also very much depends on the date of travel.

If you do already spend more money on a first class ticket, just make a seat reservation which is free of charge in first class.

There is also no „better“, that depends on your preferences. For me it‘s open saloon anytime rather than sitting in an enclosed space with a couple of strangers and limited legroom (since the rows in a compartment are facing each other).

Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DB train seatings

Thanks, but seat reserve is asking me for 5.90 EUR, is it because of two passengers (one adult, one child)

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,470 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DB train seatings

That amount is odd.

Are you using the official website www.bahn.com ?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DB train seatings

Children under 15 travel for free when with a parent or grandparent. Those €5.90 will be the seat reservation for your child. I always reserve seats when travelling with children.

I'd also consider 2nd class, 1st is mainly business travellers wanting to work and your child will get stern looks when it behaves like any normal (and bored) child.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 17:57
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DB train seatings

True very odd amount, should be €4.90.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,470 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DB train seatings

Quintneedle is right, that‘s what confused me. I didn‘t know that children need to pay for the reservation in first class and that the reservation cost in first class is now €5.90 so never mind.

The thing is, adults traveling in first class get seat reservations for free which means almost everyone on this train in first class will have one. If you want to have two seats next to other guaranteed, spending €5.90 might not be such a bad idea.

Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DB train seatings

Thank You!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,470 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DB train seatings

I would also agree with Quint that you might want to consider second class, not only because of the child but also because 1st class really isn‘t much better than second class so the extra cost for first class is often not „worth it“.

Reply to: DB train seatings
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted