We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crazy to do Zugspitze (morning) and Munich tour (afternoon)?

Level Contributor
489 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Crazy to do Zugspitze (morning) and Munich tour (afternoon)?

Later this month, we arrive for a few days in Munich before heading on to a timeshare in the Austrian Alps. We land at 11:45 and have to get our rental car, and then will be dropping our bags off at the Laimer Hof. We're hoping to have dozed well enough on the plane (early flight with Heathrow early morning stopover, ugh) so that we don't need to nap, because we want to walk up the street to the Nymphenburg Palace and Parks. We'll then do dinner nearby and plan to get to bed early.

On a previous trip to Bavaria, I did not make it to the Zugspitze because there was 100% cloud cover and it's not worth the price to go up there when it's no more interesting than looking out an airplane window. My husband, who's been to Munich and Bavaria for work (years ago) and as a child, has never been to Zugspitze either. So if the weather is good, we'd really like to go there the following morning. We'd plan to get out the door by 8 or 9 at the latest; it's an hour drive from our hotel.

We'd also like to be able to explore the altstadt and visit the Viktuelienmarkt. The tours go in the morning, so we'd likely use Munich Greeters to do a personalized tour later in the day. Since so many places close at 6 pm, is it worth trying to do that if we meet a tour guide as late as 3 pm? (We figure on spending at most 4 hours in Garmisch before heading back, so we'd be back by 2.)

Staying in Munich and doing a leisurely tour of the altstadt and perhaps relaxing in the Englischer Garten is our back-up plan if clouds would kill the views at the Zugspitze, but we don't want to inconvenience a tour guide with a tentative tour time.

We won't have another time to do either, because first thing the following morning we are going to Dachau, and then we are immediately leaving there to pick up a friend at the Salzburg train station and heading to our Austrian resort. I missed Dachau the last time because I was sick, so it means a lot to me and to my husband to go there.

Thoughts on Zugspitze and an afternoon tour? Thanks!

Edited: 07 June 2018, 02:07
Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Hotel Laimer Hof
Hotel Laimer Hof
2,401 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Nymphenburg Palace
Nymphenburg Palace
5,973 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Bavaria Boutique Hotel
Bavaria Boutique Hotel
903 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Dachau
Dachau
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
7 replies to this topic
Chester,England
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crazy to do Zugspitze (morning) and Munich tour (afternoon)?

I don't know where you arrive from, but it sounds long haul, so I would not advise driving straight off the plane.

Your plan sounds very busy and rushed, I hope you can have a rest when you get home to recover from your holiday!

Level Contributor
489 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crazy to do Zugspitze (morning) and Munich tour (afternoon)?

We're arriving from Washington, DC, but we wouldn't be going to the Zugspitze until the following day. I'm not quite that crazy. ;-)

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,714 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crazy to do Zugspitze (morning) and Munich tour (afternoon)?

Do you really need the tour in Munich? The centre can easily be explored on foot, with a map and perhaps a guidebook in hand. On the market you don't need a guide anyway. Without a fixed appointment in the afternoon, your day will be less stressful.

I hope it's not a weekend? In particular on Saturdays that one hour driving time would be a very optimistic estimate.

Alternative: grab one of the rickshaw guys in Marienplatz and let him drive you around for an overview tour. No preplanning needed, there are always some of them waiting for customers.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Marienplatz
Marienplatz
20,593 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
489 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crazy to do Zugspitze (morning) and Munich tour (afternoon)?

We'd be touring Munich on a Friday. I didn't know there were rickshaws there! Cool. If they can give some historical overviews, that would be great. We just want to make sure we'd be back in time to actually visit places if we want to go inside. We'd end the tour at the market and ask the guide for tips on places to definitely check out or avoid, but we'd do the exploring ourselves. It closes at 6, though, so we'd still want to get back early enough.

Since most people suggest taking the cogwheel train up the Zugspitze (90 minutes, plus tickets sell fast and there could be a delay), and then taking the cable car back down, that could really squeeze us for time to explore the mountaintop or any of Garmisch. We're chatting tonight about overall planning so we can prioritize. We'd originally planned to come in one day earlier, but return flights from Munich with award miles were impossible, so we're now spending our final weekend in Wiesbaden and are flying home from Frankfurt that Monday. He had to take an extra day off work to make that happen, so an extra day in Munich didn't. :-(

We're planning to move to Germany in the next 15-24 months, to Mainz, so there will definitely be time to explore it all.

Thanks! Love the rickshaw idea!

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Wiesbaden
Wiesbaden
Hesse, Germany
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Germany
Germany
Europe
Mainz
Mainz
Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
tennesee
Level Contributor
495 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crazy to do Zugspitze (morning) and Munich tour (afternoon)?

Since you're planning on moving to Mainz in the near future, I wouldn't push it to try to cram the Zugspitze with an afternoon tour (which I also agree can be done on your own with a good guide book or app if you want historical perspective thus providing more flexibility to the schedule). Your backup plan is a good one. Or perhaps consider adding in a tour of Nymphenburg or a tour of Herrenchiemsee Palace. Save the Zugspitze for later when you have time to take in more sights in that area.

Mentioned in this post
Mainz
Mainz
Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Hotel Nymphenburg
Hotel Nymphenburg
171 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
489 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crazy to do Zugspitze (morning) and Munich tour (afternoon)?

I went to Herrenchiemsee in early October 2015...stunning! We will actually be staying down the street from Nymphenburg and are going there our first day (unless we're too jetlagged!).

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Nymphenburg
Hotel Nymphenburg
171 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
489 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crazy to do Zugspitze (morning) and Munich tour (afternoon)?

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. We've decided to do the Zugspitze on another trip and enjoy Munich for the day. I've just discovered there's a wine festival going on that evening, so that's even more reason to stick around!

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Reply to: Crazy to do Zugspitze (morning) and Munich tour (afternoon)?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;